Well digger & brick maker, Moses and Osward
Well digger and brick maker, Osward Mwanza and Moses Banda, have seen the need for water in their area and want to learn manual borehole drilling and construction of good quality pumps with local materials. Jacana asks a small financial contribution from you to be able to help and guide them for a year.
€ 2,000 raised now, still € 0 of € 2,000 needed.
Osward wrote two quotations for two Self-supply clients. Moses also wrote two quotations for two potential clients. But Osward and Moses most likely have to wait because currently these customers are waiting for the goverment to pay for their maize. That money will be spend on pumps. Zambian goverment buys maize but pays late.
Osward drilled a new borehole at the garden of Chief Msholo and installed a pump.
Osward and Moses decided to start their own companies. Osward is concentrating on drilling and Moses on production of pumps.
Osward, Moses and a other welders and drillers attended the Agri Pro Focus Conference and advised farmers about manual drilling and the rope pump. Many farmers showed interest and together with Pious from Jacana they went to some potential clients.
Moses made a pump for at their workshop and installed it on the borehole that Osward dilled.
Osward drilled at Bernadette’s place high in the mountain where no truck or heavy drilling machine can come.
Moses installed a pump on an existing well at Chief Chinyaku.
Rik is helping the team with weekly planning and bookkeeping.
Osward drilled a bore hole at their workshop going 21 meters deep.
Moses made 5 pumps for stock and display for their company.
Drillers deepened the well of Mr Malambo during training (in March) and Moses Banda made and installed the pump.
Osward and Moses drilled at the house of Moses Banda and learned a lot on drilling it sandy layers.
They drilled at Mr. Chimbwe’s plot just on the Great East road, where soil was hard and rocks had to be broken.
Both pumps were installed and checked by Jacana SMART center and approved. You can find them on the map at https://jacana.help/mwater
Moses and Osward build their own workshop from scratch using their own brick of course.
Moses had produced his first pump and when Jacana inspected this pump it was to the standard the quality. Osward and Moses built their new workshop.
Moses participated as welder in the three weeks technical training and Moses was eager to learn and humble enough to ask questions in the end he successfully acquired skills in fabrication of the following technologies:
- Auger production
- Soil punch production
- Bailer production (Mzuzu type)
- EMAS pump production
- Rope pump Model 1 and Model 4 production
Osward also participated in the 3 weeks Jacana’s technical training but as a driller, his input was great. He displayed unwavering passion for his job and has acquired adequate drilling skills in the following technologies:
- Soil punching
- Mzuzu drilling with chisel, open and closed bailers
- Drilling using Jetting
- Drilling by Sledging
- Bapthist drilling (percussion)
- Corbel, open well covering
Osward and Moses made a borehole at Joseph Kabwe as experiment for the SMART Centre tot test technology and soil conditions. The borehole produces a enhough water and we learned a lot.
Without climbing inside, Osward & Moses made their well 4 meters deeper using 4″ casing and the Mzuzu drilling method. The well has now 5 meters of water (which could not be possible by digging). It’s private owned but shared with at least 49 community members.
Moses and Osward drilled with two other drillers two boreholes. They constructed the apron and installed the rope pumps. One pump is installed at Jacana demonstration plot and the other at a farmers plot.
The also started drilling a borehole at a mushroom cultivators business. Unfortunately they only could go up to 9 meters and no water was found. After March when Osward and Moses are trained in the SHIPO drilling method, which goes up to 40 meter deep, they will drill deeper and install the pump.
- Moses and Osward attended the Jacana basic training for three days. During the training they showed a lot of motivation and perseverance. They really want to make their business a success. Jacana believe that Mozes and Osward have the potential to be great businessmen and become role models for other Zambians.
- Moses and Osward have assisted Jacana in testing some SMARTechnologies in Chipata, where soil conditions are known to be difficult for drillers. Osward and Mozes have the perseverance to work, adjust and learn until there is water for their customer.
- Since Moses and Osward are willing to take a risk with these new technologies, Jacana wants to provide not only training and guidance, but also part of the initial tools and materials for a few pumps on display at their workshop.
- Therefore Jacana wants to assist them to expand their business. So they can serve their communities with water. Jacan needs your financial help before starting because Jacana wants to ensure quality control. Every small amount is more than welcome. Simply fill in (above) any amount you can afford.
Thank you on behalf of Moses and Osward!
Manual borehole drilling & pump production, business plan
Farmers walk far to fetch water
Small farmers can’t afford machine drilled boreholes
Water is sometimes too deep for dug wells
Wells are drying
Farmers can afford the boreholes
Ground water recharge
We can go deeper than dug wells
Our boreholes and pumps are the most affordable on the market
It allows you to farm all year
New affordable method of drilling boreholes
Work according to quality standards
Farmers in our area.
Coming of new faces
Increase of production
Word to Moth
Small sing board
We assume that farmers will like the new method of drilling and are willing to pay for it.
We take photos to the farmers and ask them if they are interested GO: If one says yes, we go
20 photos cost K 60
Click here to learn how to read a Lean Canvas Business model.
Jacana SMART Centre will:
- Train Osward and Mozes in manual drilling techniques (up to 40 meters deep)
- Train them in Rope pump and EMAS pump production and installation
- Train them in construction of ground water recharge systems
- Since Mozes and Osward are willing to take a risk with these new technologies, Jacana wants to provide not only training and guidance, but also part of the initial tools and materials for a few pumps on display at their workshop
- Guide them for 1 year and provide quality controle