Lodge Manager, Hilda Munkanda
Lodge manager Hilda Munkanda wanted to attract more guest for Take a Break Lodge. Jacana guided her for one year. Watch the results in this video.
The below video shows how Hilda started and what she wanted from Jacana (taken Sept 2015).
Guiding & Monitoring data
- The Lean Canvas Model is finalized.
- Hilda was guided in how to record the incomes and expenditures of all different departments.
- Jacana supports Hilda in management skills.
- Hilda started computer lessons.
- Billboard was designed with the staff of Take a Break Lodge.
- Actions taken to put the billboard at the road site.
- Guiding on management skills continues.
- For the first time Hilda entered all the financial data in the bookkeeping system on the computer.
- A lot of maintenance has to be done and Hilda is arranging it (building of new kitchen, installation of new gate, maintenance of fence, maintenance of doors, roofs etc).
- The billboard is installed at the road site. New people are booking or just coming to have a look.
- Hilda decided to focus more on the kitchen activities to improve the menu.
- Bookkeeping activities continues.
- Pious (formerly guest house manager) guided Hilda in creating a control system for the Kitchen, Bar and Accommodation.
- Together they made an evaluation form for the customers.
- Changes are made according to the outcome of the evaluation forms (light in the chalets, opening hours restaurant)
- Staff was trained in the local language by Jacana in Business and Financial planning.
May and June 2016
- Continuing training in using email, internet, bookkeeping system and management skills.
- Hilda continues bookkeeping and management of the lodge. Jacana is still available if she has questions.
Jacana evaluated last year with Hilda. You can see the results in the video on top of this page.
Hilda, mother of four daughters, is working for about 3 years at Take a Break Lodge. In June 2015 she was appointed as manager. Her responsibility is to manage four departments. The profit of the Lodge will go to Kukwatankana Youth Project. After attending the business, financial and marketing training she realized that she needs more support in her role as manager, especially on financial and management part.
Click here to learn how to read a Lean Canvas Business model.
The cell PROBLEM formulates the problems from the customers, problems which the entrepreneur will try to solve.
The cell SOLUTION describes how the entrepreneur tries to solve problems for his/her customers.
This cell UNIQUE VALUE PROPOSITION describes why the business is different and worth getting attention from the customer. This could be the text for the billboard
The cell COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE shows how the entrepreneur can defend him/herself against competition. What advantage does the entrepreneur has that is hard to copy by the competition?
This cell CUSTOMER describes who the customers of the entrepreneur are.
This cell KEY METRICS indicates how the entrepreneur can measure his/her success.
This cell CHANNELS describes how the entrepreneur builds a path to his/her customers.
In every plan there are assumptions (things the entrepreneur does not know before he/she starts). The cell MOST CRITICAL ASSUMPTION indicates the assumption that is most critical for the success of the plan.
The cell TEST indicates how the entrepreneur will test or has tested the Most Critical Assumption before making the decision to start. The test should be cost efficient. While testing, customers already get to know the new business offer.
This cell COST STRUCTURE lists the operational costs for doing the Test. Besides this the entrepreneur has a full Financial Plan worked out for the operation of his/her business. This Full Financial Plan is often attached to the Canvas model.
This cell REVENUE STREAMS shows how the entrepreneur will price the offer. Besides this the entrepreneur has a full Financial Plan worked out for the operation of his/her business. This Full Financial Plan is often attached to the Canvas model.
Jacana will support Hilda during one year in:
- Business planning
- Implementing book keeping system
- Marketing planning
- Computer skills
- General management