Position: Field officer in Water Sector
Location: Starting in Chipata and maybe later during the year other districts in Eastern Province
Start Date: 1-8-2018
Jacana supports small Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow. Jacana has two departments one is focussing on general entrepreneurs and the other on entrepreneurs in the water sector
Jacana’s water sector activities are:
- Training and guiding Entrepreneurs for Water (E4W) in production of Simple, Market based, Affordable and Repairable Technologies (SMART) like locally made pumps and drilling equipment, manually drilled boreholes, installation of pumps and production of ground water recharge systems.
- Training and guiding Water for Entrepreneurs (W4E), families who use water for business and household.
Both groups are trained in business, financial and marketing skills and will be mentored for at least one year to run and expand their businesses. For more information: www.jacana.help
Together with the manager of the water department you will be responsible for the logistics, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of water projects.
- Assist in training of entrepreneurs in business, financial and marketing skills, later you will be trained to become a trainer yourself.
- Assist in technical trainings of welders and manual drillers.
- Monitor and evaluate the entrepreneurs in the water sector, like visits to drilling sites, monitor welders who produce hand pumps and quality control of installed pumps in the field.
- Guide the entrepreneurs in expanding their businesses.
- Assist in writing evaluation reports.
- Any other task that may be assigned to you by your superior.
- Grade 12 certificate.
- You have interest, experience, affinity and feeling for technical matters.
- Strong verbal and writing skills in Nyanja and English.
- ICT skills a must : Microsoft Word and Excel e.t.c
- You are flexible, willing to learn and able to work in a small team.
- You can work independently.
- Craft certificate would be an added advantage.
Are you interested to work in a small team and you are coming from the Eastern Province of Zambia, than we ask you to write a letter of interest and send us your CV before 1st of June 2018.
You can send your application including your CV to dinie.nijssen[at]jacana.help or send it to Jacana Foundation, PO Box 510293, Chipata, Zambia.
With the deepest heartfelt condolences to the family and friends, we wish to announce the passing on of our beloved and hardworking driller Mr. Steven Zulu who passed away on Friday 13th April 2018.
Steven was trained by Jacana in manual drilling, as an entrepreneur he had made good progress and established a promising drilling company and had a good relationship with customers.
He will be greatly missed by Jacana, the colleagues and his customers.
Jacana SMART Training Center trained a year ago welders and drillers to expand their businesses. The welders have learned how to make a rope pump using local materials and the drillers how to drill boreholes manually up to 40 meters deep. In addition, they have all followed a business, financial and marketing training. Jacana has been supporting them for more than a year now. And what is the result?
We see that the entrepreneurs are doing a good job. They have all learned a lot in a year and are already able to manage their businesses. In the beginning they were very dependent on the assignments they received from Jacana. These are the partially sponsored pumps for families in the small villages around Chipata. We soon saw that Self-supply started. By Self-supply we mean that the entrepreneurs, such as the welders and the drillers, sell their products directly to private individuals without the intervention of Jacana or any other organization or NGO.
This does not mean that we leave the welders and the drillers completely to their fate. Jacana still mentors them in business management and guides them in how to approach customers, create contracts, manage depreciation of materials, keep accounting systems etc.
Interestingly we see that more and more families are getting to know the SMARTechs (Simple Market based Affordable Repairable Technologies) and are approaching the welders and drillers directly. Some families first want to consult Jacana before engaging the entrepreneurs.
To guarantee quality, Jacana approves each pump that is placed and issues a quality certificate with the telephone number of the relevant entrepreneur who installed the product. If the pump needs maintenance, the owner can contact the entrepreneur directly.
To our surprise, not only pumps for existing wells (about 400 euros) are bought. Actually, new boreholes were requested from the beginning.They are a lot more expensive (about 900 euros) but the demand is high. Where once a pump is installed in a certain area, we often see that more requests are coming.
What is also striking is that even though most pumps are privately owned, the water is shared with an average of 10 families from the area. Private pumps have the advantage that the owner can earn money with the pump and the pumps are better maintained. Apparently, the pumps are also serving the community. We call it: “Private owned, community served”.
In order to help the welders and the drillers even more, Jacana takes part in field days organized for farmers, students and other interested parties. During these days the drillers show how they drill boreholes manually and people can experience a demo-model of the rope pump. In this way, the entrepreneurs expose what they have to offer and answer questions from interested parties. The response is always huge. After that, the drillers and the welders visit the people who were seriously interested and hope to get orders in this way.
When Jacana is no longer operating in this District, then these entrepreneurs will be able keep on expanding their businesses under one condition, that they need to keep on delivering quality and work in a customer-oriented way.
- May 9, 2018 : The power of female entrepreneurs. May 2018
- April 13, 2018 : Self-supply works, April 2018
- March 16, 2018 : Visit of Bee-expert, Maart 2018
- February 20, 2018 : Gray is not always old, Feb. 2018
- January 19, 2018 : Entrepreneurs fight against cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 22, 2017 : Entrepreneur's benefit in 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Working visit (part 2), October 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Working visit, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART entrepreneurs are popular, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : What a pump can do for B&B, July 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Follow progress of drillers live, June 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, May 2017
- May 11, 2017 : And now..., April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : Results of SMARTech training, March 2017
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technical training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Some results from 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wild Geeze doubles “Water for Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres sharing skills, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Store Rain water in largest & cheapest tank, Oct. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water for Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Discover SMART shopping, Aug 2016
- August 3, 2016 : Where did these 3 wise men came from? (Juli 2016)
- July 5, 2016 : A Proud Entrepreneur, June 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Entrepreneurs for water & Water for entrepreneurs. May 2016
- April 5, 2016 : First time ever Lean Canvas Training in local language Nyanja. April 2016
- March 2, 2016 : In one blow 60% further. March 2016
- February 4, 2016 : How do you become visible? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Some highlights of the last half year! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : In audience with the Vice President, Mrs. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana started guiding the 3 ladies, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 times a Lady, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana facilitated the first 3-days basic training, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pass for subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Good news from the Tax authorities and more subscriber subscriber, July 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Preparation for Zambia subscriber subscriber, June 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1st May launching Jacana Business Empowerment
- May 8, 2018 : De kracht van de vrouwelijke ondernemer, mei 2018
- April 12, 2018 : Self-supply werkt, April 2018
- March 15, 2018 : Bijen expert op bezoek, Maart 2018
- February 19, 2018 : Grijs is niet perse oud, Feb. 2018
- January 18, 2018 : Ondernemers bestrijden Cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 21, 2017 : Voordelen voor ondernemers in 2017
- November 29, 2017 : Lieve Sinterklaas, Nov 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Werkbezoek (deel 2), Oktober 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Werkbezoek, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART ondernemers gaan de boer op, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : Wat een pomp kan doen voor B&B, juli 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Volg live de voortgang van de drillers, Juni 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, Mei 2017
- May 11, 2017 : En nu verder..., April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : We komen op TV, Maart 2017
- March 20, 2017 : Wereldwaterdag: Wandelen voor water
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technische training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Enkele resultaten uit 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wilde Ganzen verdubbelt “Water voor Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres delen kennis, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Sla Regenwater op in grootste & goedkoopste tank, Okt. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water voor Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Ontdek het SMART Shoppen, Aug 2016
- August 4, 2016 : Waar kwamen die 3 wijzen plots vandaan? (juli 2016)
- July 6, 2016 : Een Trotse Ondernemer, juni 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Water Door en Voor ondernemers. Mei 2016
- April 5, 2016 : Nu ook training in de lokale taal. April 2016
- March 1, 2016 : In een klap 60% verder. Mrt 2016
- February 4, 2016 : Hoe word je zichtbaar? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Enkele hoogtepunten van het laatste half jaar! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : Op audiëntie bij de Vice President, Mevr. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, Jacana is gestart met de begeleiding van de 3 dames, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 keer een Vrouw, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, de eerste drie daagse basis training is afgerond, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pas voor subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Goed nieuws van de belastingdienst subscriber subscriber, juli 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Op naar Zambia subscriber subscriber, juni 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1 Mei, de lancering van Jacana Zaken Empowerment
We regret to announce the passing on of our treasurer Mr. John Vaessens, who died on Sunday 1-4-2018. John was involved in Jacana Netherlands from the very beginning. He was working as our treasurer with a lot of dedication, passion and selflessness. Our...read more
Come and drill yourself a borehole. See you 5 or 6 April 8:00 - 12:00 at Msekera Research Centre field days next week in Chipata.read more
Frank Leenen was in Zambia and helped five beekeepers: Maria, Chrispin, Brandson, Phiri and Bridgit. General reaction : There is some much we still need to learn. Frank, thanks so much but you have to stay longer!...read more
International training course “Market-led SMARTechs for water and agriculture” 19th to 23rd of March 2018 in Mzuzu, Malawi The SMART Centre SNV are organising an introductory short course to provide policy makers and practitioners in water and...read more
Entrepreneurs for Water disinfect open wells for free. Now let's work together and see how we can solve the issue. People need water and will have to use the water that is available to them. Reality is that not everybody has pipeline water and many simply...read more
Several communities have worked hard constructing toilets. They are officially declared Open Defecation Free. Now clean water is coming their way thanks to a donation from the "Marie-Stella-Maris...read more
George had to pay for a water truck to bring water to his building site. After a simple calculation he decided to invest in a rope pump instead of paying for the truck. He not only safes money but now the house also has water once it is completed. George...read more
Small scale entrepreneur create jobs and they show that it is possible to escape poverty on own power. Some of them need a little well targeted support. Watch their video at https://jacana.help/entrepreneurs and give to one of...read more
Loving, caring and dedicated teacher Petronella Kuwenda runs a private pre-school. She wants to expand but needs safe water for the children. Drillers and pump producers (trained by Jacana) from the same area will help her.read more
With the affordable pump and hand drilled borehole, Uveren' Gapi Jere now extended her farmland and farms even in dry season.read more
Farmer James Mbewe provides free water to his community. Each bucket they get, helps James irrigate his garden. This way 50 families have free water and James can farm the whole year.read more
Joshua lost his entire tomatoes harvest because of drought. With an affordable and easy to repair pump he will never lose a harvest again this way.read more
Congratulations Dinie!read more
Sally Sutton represents Jacana SMART Centre Zambia at the International waTER Conference on September 18-20, 2017 at the University of...read more
SMART Centres present at World Water Week in Stockholm, 27 August – 1 September, 2017 visit Booth nr 18. Learn about SMARTechs like Manual drilling, handpumps, groundwater...read more
Agri Pro focus is a network for business minded farmers. On 24 and 25 August 2017 more than 500 local farmers met in Chipata. Jacana SMART Centre was present, drilling in the garden of the hotel, demonstrating a working rope pump. Local trained entrepreneurs pitched...read more
Jacana SMART Centre presents at WEDC: "How can Self-supply help reaching SDG6?" Tuesday 25 July – afternoon 15.30 – 17.00 Loughborough University UK, Session C5: Room WPT003 Let's talk at the exhibition site SMART Centre...read more
SMART Centre Jacana is monitoring all new boreholes and pumps. Most pumps are partly sponsored but already now, 4 months after training, Self-supply started. Two boreholes with pumps are privately bought. Have a look at https://jacana.help/mwater and witness the...read more
On 16th June, Jacana called a follow up meeting for the welders and drillers who received the technical training in March. During this meeting, entrepreneurs had the opportunity to highlight challenges and discuss possible solutions to the challenges. The...read more
Jacana closed this year’s first quarter with her usual 3 day entrepreneurship training significantly dominated by young and potential entrepreneurs.This time Jacana trained a mix of experienced and start-up entrepreneurs, this combination created an atmosphere of...read more
Jacana selected some villages around Chipata where 50 partly sponsored pumps will be installed. Families will be the owners of the pumps and are responsible for the maintenance. These families have a plan to earn some money with the pump, because they get access to...read more
The welders produced the first rope pump in their own workshop. Jacana monitors the quality and if the pump is of good quality, the welders get money for production of four more pumps. The first pump will be installed in front of their workshop as an example. The...read more
The drillers are manually drilling boreholes at their own workshop and the workshops of the welders, this to gain experience and to make working examples to convince potential clients. Jacana monitors and guides the...read more
Jacana on Dutch national TV Jacana will be on Dutch national Television NPO2 this morning 9 April 11:57 on channel 2 just before the news in a programe of WildeGanzenNL ....read more
Walk for water 2017 Wednesday (March 22 2017), pupils of Montessori Green Ring Doves (all locations) walked for water. Each with 6 liters of water on their backs through the Horsterpark in Duiven, the Netherlands. Mayor Rik de Lange opened the event at 9:00 and and...read more
EMAS pump production training On 27th of February, Jacana invited all welders and drillers for a training in Emas pump production. This was an amazing and successful task for all of them, as shown in the picture. They are testing their first Emas pump. it was really...read more
How Castricum supported Water for Zambia The foundation "Castricum helpt Muttathara" build the foundation for Jacana SMART water centre Zambia through their support to the "Water for Zambia" programme. Here a snapshot of some results: We are very pleased that...read more
SMART Centres at RWSN conference Several SMART Centres have been allocated time to share their experience at Rural Water Supply Network forum (RWSN) to be held on 29th Nov - 2nd Dec: Presentations: "Drilling & Hand-dug wells. Manual SHIPO and Mzuzu drilling)" Tuesday...read more
How SMART Centres contribute to SDG6 How SMART Centres contribute to Sustainable Development Goal 6: "Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all" Presentation by Jacana at Ministry of Local Government and Housing, Zambia...read more
Online shops donate to Jacana 300 Online shops contribute a percentage of your purchase to Jacana. It does not cost you anything extra. So next time you go to your online shop go via this link:: https://www.sponsorkliks.com. It does not cost you anything extra. For...read more
Presentation at World Water Week Stockholm Today interesting presentation on "SMART Centres: Water & jobs by training local entrepreneurs" @siwi_water World Water Week, Stockholm 16:00-17:30! How can we provide sustainable water to rural Africa with Simple Market...read more
First Lean Canvas Business training in Nyanja For the First time ever Jacana facilitated the business training in a local African language (Nyanja). The trainees completed all the steps of the Lean Canvas Model under guidance of Pious. The training was evaluated as...read more
Four volunteer Experts active for Jacana At the moment (Febr 2016), there are four volunteer experts active in guiding entrepreneurs under the Jacana programme: Jeanette Biesbroeck for Ireen Le Tran for Wamunjima Jeroen Reith for Xavier Maren Bruin for Joseph &...read more
The Rabobank believes in our approach. The Rabobank staff fund covers 60% of the guidance costs for 8 small entrepreneurs in Zambia. This also means that the remaining 40% needs to be covered by crowd...read more
1 Jan 2016 Preparing for water Jacana researches the possibilities to develop a SMART training centre for low cost water Technologies, a centre similar as SHIPO in Tanzania. This centre fits perfectly with the current method of Jacana, entrepreneurs depending on water...read more
Make your practical Business Plan on the air. Tune in, together we will make your practical business plan and teach you how to use it. Radio PAN African 105.1 FM Monday 21 Dec 14:00 Lines are open we answer your questions on Monday 21 Dec 14:00-15:00 (radius of 100 km...read more
Vice President, Mrs. Inonge Wina, receives Jacana in audience. Wednesday 25 of November Jacana together with Farise visited the Vice President. The visit was initiated by two potential female MP’s (Members of Parliament). The Vice President and the future PM’s want to...read more
Train the trainer Jacana started the second series of business, financial and marketing training for entrepreneurs who want to expand their businesses. One goal of Jacana is to train local trainers. Pious took over a part of the business training under guidance of...read more
Second training session started Jacana started in November with the second business, financial and marketing training for fifteen enthusiastic small entrepreneurs from...read more
New employee Since 1 November Pious Nyirongo works for Jacana. Pious has a diploma in Human Resource Management and worked for a mine company as assistant HR. After that he worked as guest house manager and HR manager for GCMF. In his free time he is a senior Pastor...read more
Donation from The Johanna Donk-Grote Foundation The Johanna Donk-Grote Foundation supports three of the four basic trainings over a period of one year. Jacana selects from these trainings the most promising entrepreneurs for an intensive program. These entrepreneurs...read more
Jacana started guiding the three selected ladies. Follow data on guidance at the project...read more
Jacana facilitated the first 3-days basic training During this training the participants were trained in writing a business , financial and marketing plan. All participants went home with the first version of their own business and financial plan for expanding their...read more
First meeting of Zambian Board The board for the Zambian branch of Jacana has met for the first time on 10th of August. This experienced and motivated team will guide the foundation in to a bright future. Read all about their...read more
Startup Witness how cost efficient the new Zambian Jacana office is being furnished and watch how the "data centre" is equipped to overcome all kinds of (unfortunately common) power...read more
Arrival in Zambia Dinie and Rik arrived on 23rd of June in Lusaka, they travelled from there to their new home. The staff of Group Farm project in Chisamba welcomed them warmly. For now the Jacana-Zambia office will be located on this project site along the Great...read more
Good news from TAX authorities Jacana has been awarded with a ANBI certificate from the Dutch Tax Authorities. Therefore Dutch donors can benefit from tax deductions up to 52%. See: https://jacana.help/about/anbi Already 65% (€ 19,491.-) of the start-up...read more
31 May 2015 Donation of Haëlla Foundation Haëlla Foundation funded Jacana for the basic training of Zambian entrepreneurs. Jacana will conduct this year four basic trainings and Jacana will select from these trainings the most promising entrepreneurs for an intensive...read more
1 May 2015 A perfect day to launch Jacana Business Empowerment Jacana supports small African entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow by linking them to experienced experts in the same sector. “Small investment, big...read more
31 Mar 2015 Board in the Netherlands Jacana Business Empowerment foundation was founded on 31st of March 2015. The board signed the statute at a notary office in Maastricht. Members of the board: Chairman: Rik Haanen Secretary: Laura Kurth Treasurer: John Vaessens...read more