Over the past year Jacana supported the trained welders and drillers in expanding their business. It is time to view the current situation.
There are 4 welders and 14 drillers actively engaged in producing pumps, drilling boreholes and pump installation. The welders have been able to expand their existing welding companies with the production of pumps and drilling equipment. It is more difficult for the drillers.They often come from small villages, earned their income by digging wells and are not accustomed to dealing with money commercially – unlike the welders. In addition, many of the drillers have had little or no education and some of them can not even read or write. Nevertheless all 14 drillers are very good at their profession. But to manage a company you also have to be able to keep your books, sell the product, put money aside to be able to replace your tools, etc. So far we see this is not always going well, of course, at the same time we also see that there is a market for manual borehole drilling, because there are now 25 satisfied customers who have already made use of their services without any sponsorship.
This year the Ministry of Water has introduced a new law in which all drillers must have a drilling license whether they drill with a machine or by hand. Water Resource Management Authority (WARMA) that regulates the licenses requires that the drillers have an officially recognized company, otherwise they can not apply for a license.The registration costs are approximately € 200/year, which is a huge amount for the drillers.
By the end of December 2018, the sponsored projects will come to an end. So it’s time to find a solution.
Which type of business fits best with the drillers?
Elizabeth Chipeta, a lawyer and Jacana’s board member, has investigated various Zambian business forms and, together with the group of drillers, has drawn the following conclusions:
- It is out of the question that every driller can currently set up his own company under individual license.This is too expensive and for some who can not read or write it is not feasible.
- A limited company with shareholders is also not an option, because too much regulation is involved and the group is still too inexperienced for that.
- The best option is to set up a cooperative.This form is common in rural areas in the agricultural sector. Some drillers are even already members of an agricultural cooperative.The government also stimulates this form in rural areas, some of the advantages are tax benefits and low annual costs.
- WARMA, after consultation with Jacana, has acknowledged the cooperative form and in this way only one drilling license has to be applied for, instead of 14.This saves approximately € 2,600/year equivalent to almost 3 boreholes with pump.
After the group has agreed to set up a cooperative, they have chosen a name and, under the supervision of Jacana, started working on drafting a management structure, statutes, rules and business plans. According to Zambian law, board members must be elected from the members of the cooperative and the manager comes from outside. The group proposed unanimously Pious Nyirongo (employee of Jacana) as manager.
After consultation, Pious has accepted this position and Jacana has offered to finance the costs for the manager in 2019.
Results until October 2018
As a cooperative, a number of important steps have already been taken:
- Cooperative is officially registered and the WARMA certificate has been granted.
- Posters are distributed in the city.
- Messages are placed on social media platforms.
- The web-site www.emd-zambia.com is under constrution.
- Two representatives cycle through the district and sell boreholes on a commission basis.
- Almost all 80 families where the drillers have ever installed a pump have been visited. They like to be a sales representatives, receive some flyers and receive a small commission for each client.
- For 30 days an advertisement will be announced four times a day on the radio and six times per day on Chipata TV (total costs €210).
- The cooperative has now sent its first concept note and made contact with Members of Parliament who occasionally have some money for water supplies in rural Zambia.
Although the cooperative is less than a month old, good results have already been achieved. People from the region who have heard the TV or radio know where to find the cooperative. People react from all over Zambia through the internet. This shows that there is a need for affordable pumps and boreholes throughout Zambia. We, Jacana, learn from this that our work can not be limited to Chipata district.
Simple, Market-based, Affordable, Repairable, Technologies. A practical approach to reach SDG 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8
November 13 to 16, 2018 in Mzuzu, Malawi
SMART stands for Simple, Market-based, Affordable and Repairable Technologies. This practical symposium will train participants in key aspects of the SMART approach and will provide a boost to your WASH activities. It will provide information and discuss aspects like:
- How to training local entrepreneurial champions
- How to create profit-based and sustainable supply chains
- How to improve functionality of systems, shift ownership from community-level to family level
- How to enable and accelerate supported Self-supply systems
We will share 25 years of lessons learnt in rural development during which time over 10 million people have benefited from SMARTechs. After the symposium you will have knowledge of and access to tools and a network necessary to establish a SMART Centre in your country.
In many developing countries challenges are access to sustainable WASH in remote rural areas (“the last mile”), but also water related topics like reduction of rural poverty, food security and youth employment. To reach these SDGs millions of technicians, entrepreneurs, farmers and others need to be trained in the coming decade. With the experience in WASH and rural development, MetaMeta, Aqua for All, Skat, SNV and the SMART Centres will organise a symposium about “the SMART approach” which includes the training and coaching of micro and small entrepreneurs to produce, maintain and market SMARTechs. Examples are manual well drilling, hand and solar pumps, rainwater harvesting, groundwater recharge, irrigation, household water treatment and sanitation. The symposium targets policy makers, development professionals, organisations and others active in water, agriculture and development in general. It will provide a proven and hands-on approach to reach SDG1 (poverty), 2 (food), 3 (health), 6 (WASH) and 8 (employment) simultaneously.
The symposium programme includes:
- Demonstration of over 20 SMARTechs – innovative and mostly locally produced technologies for WASH and agriculture – how to produce, maintain and market them.
- Do’s and don’ts of setting up an income generating WASH training centre, including developing project proposals.
- Overview of impact of and experiences with SMARTechs from countries like Tanzania, Zambia and Nicaragua.
- Discussion on upscaling proven approaches such as Supported Self-supply and Family Based Management, compared to community Based Management in rural water supply.
- Smart Water Solutions for Agriculture, tools and experiences from Kenya.
- Field trips and interactions with businesses and technicians trained by SMARTCentres.
Logistics and application
The symposium will take place in Mzuzu, Malawi from Tuesday 13th to Thursday 15th of November, 2018. There is an optional fourth day on the 16th of November with additional field trips, allowing participants to engage in in-depth discussions with trained and mentored businesses.
The fee for the 3-day symposium is 475 Euros or 550 Euros for the 4-day symposium. This includes: study material, presentations, lunches and local transport in Mzuzu.
Participants are responsible for their own travel to/from Mzuzu and accommodation in Mzuzu. We can provide logistical support for travel from Lilongwe to Mzuzu and support in visa application.
For further information e-mail Reinier Veldman at firstname.lastname@example.org, call +265996090132.
To allow time for visa, apply before the 15th of October by sending an email to the address above.
Although the first generation has just started, it seems like Khova ward in Zambia is already developing a new generation of manual drillers.
Here under: the first generation trained and mentored in June 2018 by Jacana SMART Centre Zambia.
- October 17, 2018 : Professionalizing of manual drilling, Oct 2018
- September 29, 2018 : Jacana won Jobena Award 2018/2019
- August 15, 2018 : A day working in Khova Ward, August 2018
- July 6, 2018 : Technical training, July 2018
- May 9, 2018 : The power of female entrepreneurs. May 2018
- April 13, 2018 : Self-supply works, April 2018
- March 16, 2018 : Visit of Bee-expert, Maart 2018
- February 20, 2018 : Gray is not always old, Feb. 2018
- January 19, 2018 : Entrepreneurs fight against cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 22, 2017 : Entrepreneur's benefit in 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Working visit (part 2), October 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Working visit, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART entrepreneurs are popular, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : What a pump can do for B&B, July 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Follow progress of drillers live, June 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, May 2017
- May 11, 2017 : And now..., April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : Results of SMARTech training, March 2017
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technical training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Some results from 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wild Geeze doubles “Water for Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres sharing skills, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Store Rain water in largest & cheapest tank, Oct. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water for Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Discover SMART shopping, Aug 2016
- August 3, 2016 : Where did these 3 wise men came from? (Juli 2016)
- July 5, 2016 : A Proud Entrepreneur, June 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Entrepreneurs for water & Water for entrepreneurs. May 2016
- April 5, 2016 : First time ever Lean Canvas Training in local language Nyanja. April 2016
- March 2, 2016 : In one blow 60% further. March 2016
- February 4, 2016 : How do you become visible? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Some highlights of the last half year! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : In audience with the Vice President, Mrs. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana started guiding the 3 ladies, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 times a Lady, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana facilitated the first 3-days basic training, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pass for subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Good news from the Tax authorities and more subscriber subscriber, July 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Preparation for Zambia subscriber subscriber, June 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1st May launching Jacana Business Empowerment
- October 16, 2018 : Professionalisering van handmatig drillen, okt 2018
- September 28, 2018 : Jacana winnaar Jobenaprijs 2018/2019
- August 11, 2018 : Een dagje werken in Khova Ward, aug 2018
- July 25, 2018 : Droogte, juli 2018
- July 5, 2018 : Technische training, juli 2018
- May 8, 2018 : De kracht van de vrouwelijke ondernemer, mei 2018
- April 12, 2018 : Self-supply werkt, April 2018
- March 15, 2018 : Bijen expert op bezoek, Maart 2018
- February 19, 2018 : Grijs is niet perse oud, Feb. 2018
- January 18, 2018 : Ondernemers bestrijden Cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 21, 2017 : Voordelen voor ondernemers in 2017
- November 29, 2017 : Lieve Sinterklaas, Nov 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Werkbezoek (deel 2), Oktober 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Werkbezoek, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART ondernemers gaan de boer op, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : Wat een pomp kan doen voor B&B, juli 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Volg live de voortgang van de drillers, Juni 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, Mei 2017
- May 11, 2017 : En nu verder..., April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : We komen op TV, Maart 2017
- March 20, 2017 : Wereldwaterdag: Wandelen voor water
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technische training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Enkele resultaten uit 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wilde Ganzen verdubbelt “Water voor Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres delen kennis, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Sla Regenwater op in grootste & goedkoopste tank, Okt. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water voor Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Ontdek het SMART Shoppen, Aug 2016
- August 4, 2016 : Waar kwamen die 3 wijzen plots vandaan? (juli 2016)
- July 6, 2016 : Een Trotse Ondernemer, juni 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Water Door en Voor ondernemers. Mei 2016
- April 5, 2016 : Nu ook training in de lokale taal. April 2016
- March 1, 2016 : In een klap 60% verder. Mrt 2016
- February 4, 2016 : Hoe word je zichtbaar? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Enkele hoogtepunten van het laatste half jaar! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : Op audiëntie bij de Vice President, Mevr. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, Jacana is gestart met de begeleiding van de 3 dames, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 keer een Vrouw, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, de eerste drie daagse basis training is afgerond, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pas voor subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Goed nieuws van de belastingdienst subscriber subscriber, juli 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Op naar Zambia subscriber subscriber, juni 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1 Mei, de lancering van Jacana Zaken Empowerment
What can we learn from this picture about sustainable development and reaching united nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Jacana SMART Centre Zambia presented “Boosting rural economies and creating sustainable water supplies for the most...read more
Jacana and trained entrepreneurs from the water sector will demonstrate their knowledge on provincial agriculture and commercial show in Chipata stadium next Friday and Saturday, July 6 and 7.read more
Jacana has been able to organize a manual drilling training of three weeks thanks to funds from Marie Stella Maris and Stichting Haella,The training took place in the month of June. The trainers were Elias Muzumala from SMART Centre CCAP, Malawi and Laban...read more
Position: Field officer in Water Sector Location: Starting in Chipata and maybe later during the year other districts in Eastern Province Start Date: 1-8-2018 Background Jacana supports small Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing...read more
With the deepest heartfelt condolences to the family and friends, we wish to announce the passing on of our beloved and hardworking driller Mr. Steven Zulu who passed away on Friday 13th April 2018. Steven was trained by Jacana in manual drilling, as an...read more
Jacana SMART Training Center trained a year ago welders and drillers to expand their businesses. The welders have learned how to make a rope pump using local materials and the drillers how to drill boreholes manually up to 40 meters deep. In addition, they...read more
We regret to announce the passing on of our treasurer Mr. John Vaessens, who died on Sunday 1-4-2018. John was involved in Jacana Netherlands from the very beginning. He was working as our treasurer with a lot of dedication, passion and selflessness. Our...read more
Come and drill yourself a borehole. See you 5 or 6 April 8:00 - 12:00 at Msekera Research Centre field days next week in Chipata.read more
Frank Leenen was in Zambia and helped five beekeepers: Maria, Chrispin, Brandson, Phiri and Bridgit. General reaction : There is some much we still need to learn. Frank, thanks so much but you have to stay longer!...read more
International training course “Market-led SMARTechs for water and agriculture” 19th to 23rd of March 2018 in Mzuzu, Malawi The SMART Centre SNV are organising an introductory short course to provide policy makers and practitioners in water and...read more
Entrepreneurs for Water disinfect open wells for free. Now let's work together and see how we can solve the issue. People need water and will have to use the water that is available to them. Reality is that not everybody has pipeline water and many simply...read more
Several communities have worked hard constructing toilets. They are officially declared Open Defecation Free. Now clean water is coming their way thanks to a donation from the "Marie-Stella-Maris...read more
George had to pay for a water truck to bring water to his building site. After a simple calculation he decided to invest in a rope pump instead of paying for the truck. He not only safes money but now the house also has water once it is completed. George...read more
Small scale entrepreneur create jobs and they show that it is possible to escape poverty on own power. Some of them need a little well targeted support. Watch their video at https://jacana.help/entrepreneurs and give to one of...read more
Loving, caring and dedicated teacher Petronella Kuwenda runs a private pre-school. She wants to expand but needs safe water for the children. Drillers and pump producers (trained by Jacana) from the same area will help her.read more
With the affordable pump and hand drilled borehole, Uveren' Gapi Jere now extended her farmland and farms even in dry season.read more
Farmer James Mbewe provides free water to his community. Each bucket they get, helps James irrigate his garden. This way 50 families have free water and James can farm the whole year.read more
Joshua lost his entire tomatoes harvest because of drought. With an affordable and easy to repair pump he will never lose a harvest again this way.read more
Congratulations Dinie!read more
Sally Sutton represents Jacana SMART Centre Zambia at the International waTER Conference on September 18-20, 2017 at the University of...read more
SMART Centres present at World Water Week in Stockholm, 27 August – 1 September, 2017 visit Booth nr 18. Learn about SMARTechs like Manual drilling, handpumps, groundwater...read more
Agri Pro focus is a network for business minded farmers. On 24 and 25 August 2017 more than 500 local farmers met in Chipata. Jacana SMART Centre was present, drilling in the garden of the hotel, demonstrating a working rope pump. Local trained entrepreneurs pitched...read more
Jacana SMART Centre presents at WEDC: "How can Self-supply help reaching SDG6?" Tuesday 25 July – afternoon 15.30 – 17.00 Loughborough University UK, Session C5: Room WPT003 Let's talk at the exhibition site SMART Centre...read more
SMART Centre Jacana is monitoring all new boreholes and pumps. Most pumps are partly sponsored but already now, 4 months after training, Self-supply started. Two boreholes with pumps are privately bought. Have a look at https://jacana.help/mwater and witness the...read more
On 16th June, Jacana called a follow up meeting for the welders and drillers who received the technical training in March. During this meeting, entrepreneurs had the opportunity to highlight challenges and discuss possible solutions to the challenges. The...read more
Jacana closed this year’s first quarter with her usual 3 day entrepreneurship training significantly dominated by young and potential entrepreneurs.This time Jacana trained a mix of experienced and start-up entrepreneurs, this combination created an atmosphere of...read more
Jacana selected some villages around Chipata where 50 partly sponsored pumps will be installed. Families will be the owners of the pumps and are responsible for the maintenance. These families have a plan to earn some money with the pump, because they get access to...read more
The welders produced the first rope pump in their own workshop. Jacana monitors the quality and if the pump is of good quality, the welders get money for production of four more pumps. The first pump will be installed in front of their workshop as an example. The...read more
The drillers are manually drilling boreholes at their own workshop and the workshops of the welders, this to gain experience and to make working examples to convince potential clients. Jacana monitors and guides the...read more
Jacana on Dutch national TV Jacana will be on Dutch national Television NPO2 this morning 9 April 11:57 on channel 2 just before the news in a programe of WildeGanzenNL ....read more
Walk for water 2017 Wednesday (March 22 2017), pupils of Montessori Green Ring Doves (all locations) walked for water. Each with 6 liters of water on their backs through the Horsterpark in Duiven, the Netherlands. Mayor Rik de Lange opened the event at 9:00 and and...read more
EMAS pump production training On 27th of February, Jacana invited all welders and drillers for a training in Emas pump production. This was an amazing and successful task for all of them, as shown in the picture. They are testing their first Emas pump. it was really...read more
How Castricum supported Water for Zambia The foundation "Castricum helpt Muttathara" build the foundation for Jacana SMART water centre Zambia through their support to the "Water for Zambia" programme. Here a snapshot of some results: We are very pleased that...read more
SMART Centres at RWSN conference Several SMART Centres have been allocated time to share their experience at Rural Water Supply Network forum (RWSN) to be held on 29th Nov - 2nd Dec: Presentations: "Drilling & Hand-dug wells. Manual SHIPO and Mzuzu drilling)" Tuesday...read more
How SMART Centres contribute to SDG6 How SMART Centres contribute to Sustainable Development Goal 6: "Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all" Presentation by Jacana at Ministry of Local Government and Housing, Zambia...read more
Online shops donate to Jacana 300 Online shops contribute a percentage of your purchase to Jacana. It does not cost you anything extra. So next time you go to your online shop go via this link:: https://www.sponsorkliks.com. It does not cost you anything extra. For...read more
Presentation at World Water Week Stockholm Today interesting presentation on "SMART Centres: Water & jobs by training local entrepreneurs" @siwi_water World Water Week, Stockholm 16:00-17:30! How can we provide sustainable water to rural Africa with Simple Market...read more
First Lean Canvas Business training in Nyanja For the First time ever Jacana facilitated the business training in a local African language (Nyanja). The trainees completed all the steps of the Lean Canvas Model under guidance of Pious. The training was evaluated as...read more
Four volunteer Experts active for Jacana At the moment (Febr 2016), there are four volunteer experts active in guiding entrepreneurs under the Jacana programme: Jeanette Biesbroeck for Ireen Le Tran for Wamunjima Jeroen Reith for Xavier Maren Bruin for Joseph &...read more
The Rabobank believes in our approach. The Rabobank staff fund covers 60% of the guidance costs for 8 small entrepreneurs in Zambia. This also means that the remaining 40% needs to be covered by crowd...read more
1 Jan 2016 Preparing for water Jacana researches the possibilities to develop a SMART training centre for low cost water Technologies, a centre similar as SHIPO in Tanzania. This centre fits perfectly with the current method of Jacana, entrepreneurs depending on water...read more
Make your practical Business Plan on the air. Tune in, together we will make your practical business plan and teach you how to use it. Radio PAN African 105.1 FM Monday 21 Dec 14:00 Lines are open we answer your questions on Monday 21 Dec 14:00-15:00 (radius of 100 km...read more
Vice President, Mrs. Inonge Wina, receives Jacana in audience. Wednesday 25 of November Jacana together with Farise visited the Vice President. The visit was initiated by two potential female MP’s (Members of Parliament). The Vice President and the future PM’s want to...read more
Train the trainer Jacana started the second series of business, financial and marketing training for entrepreneurs who want to expand their businesses. One goal of Jacana is to train local trainers. Pious took over a part of the business training under guidance of...read more
Second training session started Jacana started in November with the second business, financial and marketing training for fifteen enthusiastic small entrepreneurs from...read more
New employee Since 1 November Pious Nyirongo works for Jacana. Pious has a diploma in Human Resource Management and worked for a mine company as assistant HR. After that he worked as guest house manager and HR manager for GCMF. In his free time he is a senior Pastor...read more
Donation from The Johanna Donk-Grote Foundation The Johanna Donk-Grote Foundation supports three of the four basic trainings over a period of one year. Jacana selects from these trainings the most promising entrepreneurs for an intensive program. These entrepreneurs...read more
Jacana started guiding the three selected ladies. Follow data on guidance at the project...read more
Jacana facilitated the first 3-days basic training During this training the participants were trained in writing a business , financial and marketing plan. All participants went home with the first version of their own business and financial plan for expanding their...read more
First meeting of Zambian Board The board for the Zambian branch of Jacana has met for the first time on 10th of August. This experienced and motivated team will guide the foundation in to a bright future. Read all about their...read more
Startup Witness how cost efficient the new Zambian Jacana office is being furnished and watch how the "data centre" is equipped to overcome all kinds of (unfortunately common) power...read more
Arrival in Zambia Dinie and Rik arrived on 23rd of June in Lusaka, they travelled from there to their new home. The staff of Group Farm project in Chisamba welcomed them warmly. For now the Jacana-Zambia office will be located on this project site along the Great...read more
Good news from TAX authorities Jacana has been awarded with a ANBI certificate from the Dutch Tax Authorities. Therefore Dutch donors can benefit from tax deductions up to 52%. See: https://jacana.help/about/anbi Already 65% (€ 19,491.-) of the start-up...read more
31 May 2015 Donation of Haëlla Foundation Haëlla Foundation funded Jacana for the basic training of Zambian entrepreneurs. Jacana will conduct this year four basic trainings and Jacana will select from these trainings the most promising entrepreneurs for an intensive...read more
1 May 2015 A perfect day to launch Jacana Business Empowerment Jacana supports small African entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow by linking them to experienced experts in the same sector. “Small investment, big...read more
31 Mar 2015 Board in the Netherlands Jacana Business Empowerment foundation was founded on 31st of March 2015. The board signed the statute at a notary office in Maastricht. Members of the board: Chairman: Rik Haanen Secretary: Laura Kurth Treasurer: John Vaessens...read more