Train the trainer
Thanks to a donation from Transform International Canada, Jacana was able to develop a train the trainer course for beekeepers. With this new training we guide people who mostly “hunt” honey to professional beekeepers who can earn their living sustainably with it. The course focuses on keeping bees and also deals with entrepreneurship and its financial aspects. Next to theory most of the time the participants will be practically trained in the field.
The training was given by Frank Leenen (PUM Nederlands senior experts) in the first week of February. He has trained four future local trainers. Frank has given a lot of background information about keeping the African “Scutellata bee”. The new trainers have received a lot of valuable information that they can transfer to the beekeepers. In addition to theory, much attention has also been paid to practice. Every day the trainers went under guidance of Frank to the field to learn from and work with the bees. They paid attention to the quality of the hives, how to open a hive, bee brood, new brood in new hives, but not to forget, how to deal with traditional hives.
Many of the future beekeepers still work with traditional hives made from the bark of a tree. However, it is very difficult to harvest clean honey from these traditional hives and, moreover, there is a good chance that a large number of bees will die, because fire is often used to harvest the honey. That is why the emphasis in the training will be on working with top bar hives. These hives are easy to maintain for beginners and the honey can easily be harvested without killing the bee population. Every trained beekeeper receives a partially sponsored top bar hive, protective clothing and a smoker, all of which are now locally produced.
Traditional bee hive
Top bar hive
Pious Nyirongo, Jacana trainer, will train the group early March in business and financial skills. The trainers learn how to use the Lean Canvas model to make future beekeepers think about their expansion plans in beekeeping and what is needed for that. They will also calculate the cost price for 1 kg of pure honey. Among other things, this will determine their future selling price. Finally, they learn a simple accounting system to keep the income and expenses organized and to calculate the profit.
All new beekeepers to be trained are currently carefully selected by Jacana and they must have at least two years of experience in keeping bees and have the motivation to expand.
In April, the four trainers, in pairs, will provide the beekeeping training for groups of each ten beekeepers. In addition to the theory, they will also provide practical lessons in the field.
Together with Frank, Jacana has developed a manual for trainers and a basic course for beekeepers. They can be obtained for free later this year via the website.
Frank thank you for training the trainers. Jacana is happy that beekeepers can now be supported by local trainers.
Moses Nyirenda, Frank Leenen, Pious Nyirongo, Keepson Chirwa and Collins Musonda
All part are worldwide available in common hardware shops and shops that sell car parts. Cost about $100 including solar panel.
The pump is ideal for very narrow tube wells, starting at 2″ (50mm) casing and bigger. Suitable for wells that produce very little water because it pumps slowly but steady. After 5½ hours an overhead tank of 1000 liter is full.
Moses Banda is trained and guided by Jacana SMART Centre Zambia.
Happy new year for you and the people you care about.
In 2020 Jacana will build a business centre in Zambia with the aim of creating opportunities for small scale entrepreneurs, so that they can grow economically and create better living conditions for themselves and their communities. A mouthful, but how do we see that in practice.
In the last few years Jacana trained more than 300 small entrepreneurs and in 2019 Jacana won the Jobena award for this. We see a micro-economy emerging before our eyes: one entrepreneur helps the other. Such as tailors who make bee suits for beekeepers and drillers who provide farmers with water. We also see that there are entrepreneurs, who we have trained in the past and now gained so much experience that they train other entrepreneurs. During these training sessions we keep an eye on things, but they do well. All of that happens in the, now too small house, from the director.
Your donation will be doubled now.
- € 16,635 raised now, still € 13,365 of € 30,000 needed. 55%
Plan of action
First Jacana buys a piece of land, we have an option on a 75 x 240 m plot. We want to start small with expansion possibilities for the future. The building project will be supervised by Jacana itself. Jacana will approach small scale building entrepreneurs, such as carpenters, plumbers, electricians, bricklayers and brick makers, these entrepreneurs will build the centre under supervision of a construction expert.
What are we going to build?
Ton Teunissen draws the construction designs. He has a lot of experience building in Africa. He has designed many buildings including SHIPO office in Tanzania, where Rik and Dinie worked for three years.
Local brick makers produce all the bricks. Afterwards, the structure of the honey processing plant will be build. In the first phase, this building will serve as a workshop and storage during the construction of the main building. After the main building is completed, the temporary workshop will be transformed into a food-processing unit where the beekeepers will press and bottle the honey.
The main building includes three offices and a training hall. The training hall will also serve as flex spaces for small entrepreneurs who are guided by Jacana. These companies can, for example, do their bookkeeping under guidance of Jacana or plan meetings with their customers. You name it.
Who will use the business centre?
Of course, Jacana will move to the new location. Currently, Eastern Manual Drilling cooperative also uses Jacana’s office and storage space and Jacana guides the managers in expanding the business. The current office has become too small. In addition to the drillers, the Eastern Beekeepers Cooperative will also be given a place. The cooperative is looking for a building where they can hygienically process and bottle the honey. From 2021 more than 100 beekeepers from Chipata and surrounding villages will use the centre, that is why Jacana wants to build a food processing area that meets the Zambian hygiene standards. The beekeeper cooperative can use the space and the equipment until they are strong enough to continue on their own. In addition to honey, there may be other products that can find their way to the market in this way. For example oyster mushrooms, moringa and fruit juice.
The building entrepreneurs who participated in the construction of the centre can continue to grow under guidance of Jacana and may use each other’s qualities to attract bigger building contracts.
In short, the entire setup makes expansion possible when need arises. There is a growing demand for support of very potential business expansion ideas. Of course, we will continue to make strict selections and put our energy into people that have proven to be honest, perseverant and who work hard. Zambia is a developing country with lots of untapped opportunities. One step at a time, Jacana Business Centre will help to open these taps.
Your contribution is very much appreciated and will be doubled now.
Remember that Dutch donors can get a tax-refund ANBI. Every small donation is welcome.
- February 21, 2020 : Beekeeping train the trainer programme, Feb 2020
- February 1, 2020 : A chain of entrepreneurs who help each other, Jan 2020
- December 26, 2019 : Take a look backstage, Dec 2019
- December 18, 2019 : Jacana Business Centre, Dec 2019
- November 22, 2019 : Cultivation of oyster mushrooms, Nov 2019
- October 17, 2019 : Water for all, in a growing population; EMAS and SMART Centres join forces, Oct 2019
- September 26, 2019 : Electronic surveying to find best borehole location, Sep 2019
- August 31, 2019 : Organic farming for beekeepers, Aug 2019
- August 1, 2019 : Marie-Stella-Maris visits Jacana projects, July 2019
- June 23, 2019 : Increasing drilling and pump portfolio with EMAS techniques, June 2019
- May 28, 2019 : Training entrepreneurs for water in Lundazi & Chasefu, May 2019
- April 27, 2019 : Training of beekeepers, April 2019
- March 28, 2019 : Jacana opens an office in Lundazi, maart 2019
- March 1, 2019 : WaterAid and Jacana, February 2019
- January 25, 2019 : How is the Eastern Manual Drilling cooperative limited doing? January 2019
- December 22, 2018 : Visit Sally Sutton & Jobena doubles, December 2018
- November 28, 2018 : Tutorial: Manual borehole drilling in 15 minutes, Nov 2018
- October 17, 2018 : Professionalizing of manual drilling, Oct 2018
- September 29, 2018 : Jacana won Jobena Award 2018/2019
- August 15, 2018 : A day working in Khova Ward, August 2018
- July 6, 2018 : Technical training, July 2018
- May 9, 2018 : The power of female entrepreneurs. May 2018
- April 13, 2018 : Self-supply works, April 2018
- March 16, 2018 : Visit of Bee-expert, Maart 2018
- February 20, 2018 : Gray is not always old, Feb. 2018
- January 19, 2018 : Entrepreneurs fight against cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 22, 2017 : Entrepreneur's benefit in 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Working visit (part 2), October 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Working visit, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART entrepreneurs are popular, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : What a pump can do for B&B, July 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Follow progress of drillers live, June 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, May 2017
- May 11, 2017 : And now..., April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : Results of SMARTech training, March 2017
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technical training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Some results from 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wild Geeze doubles “Water for Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres sharing skills, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Store Rain water in largest & cheapest tank, Oct. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water for Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Discover SMART shopping, Aug 2016
- August 3, 2016 : Where did these 3 wise men came from? (Juli 2016)
- July 5, 2016 : A Proud Entrepreneur, June 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Entrepreneurs for water & Water for entrepreneurs. May 2016
- April 5, 2016 : First time ever Lean Canvas Training in local language Nyanja. April 2016
- March 2, 2016 : In one blow 60% further. March 2016
- February 4, 2016 : How do you become visible? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Some highlights of the last half year! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : In audience with the Vice President, Mrs. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana started guiding the 3 ladies, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 times a Lady, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana facilitated the first 3-days basic training, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pass for subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Good news from the Tax authorities and more subscriber subscriber, July 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Preparation for Zambia subscriber subscriber, June 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1st May launching Jacana Business Empowerment
- February 20, 2020 : Bijen train de trainer programma, Feb 2020
- January 31, 2020 : Een keten van ondernemers helpt elkaar, Jan 2020
- December 25, 2019 : Een kijkje achter de schermen, Dec 2019
- December 17, 2019 : Jacana bedrijven centrum, Dec 2019
- November 21, 2019 : Oesterzwammen kweken, november 2019
- October 17, 2019 : Water voor een groeiende bevolking in Afrika; EMAS en SMART Centers bundelen krachten, okt 2019
- September 26, 2019 : Elektronisch bodemonderzoek, sep 2019
- August 30, 2019 : Organische landbouw voor bijenhouders, aug 2019
- August 1, 2019 : Marie-Stella-Maris bezoekt Jacana projecten, juli 2019
- June 23, 2019 : Uitbreiding boor en pomp portfolio met EMAS technieken, juni 2019
- May 27, 2019 : Training van water ondernemers in Lundazi & Chasefu, mei 2019
- April 26, 2019 : Training voor bijenhouders, april 2019
- March 27, 2019 : Jacana opent een kantoor in Lundazi, maart 2019
- February 28, 2019 : WaterAid en Jacana, februari 2019
- January 25, 2019 : Hoe doet Eastern Manual Drilling cooperative limited het? Januari 2019
- December 21, 2018 : Bezoek van Sally en Jobena verdubbeld, december 2018
- December 3, 2018 : Nog even snel een cadeautje kopen?
- November 27, 2018 : Tutorial: Handmatig borehole drilling in 15 minuten, nov 2018
- October 16, 2018 : Professionalisering van handmatig drillen, okt 2018
- September 28, 2018 : Jacana winnaar Jobenaprijs 2018/2019
- August 11, 2018 : Een dagje werken in Khova Ward, aug 2018
- July 25, 2018 : Droogte, juli 2018
- July 5, 2018 : Technische training, juli 2018
- May 8, 2018 : De kracht van de vrouwelijke ondernemer, mei 2018
- April 12, 2018 : Self-supply werkt, April 2018
- March 15, 2018 : Bijen expert op bezoek, Maart 2018
- February 19, 2018 : Grijs is niet perse oud, Feb. 2018
- January 18, 2018 : Ondernemers bestrijden Cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 21, 2017 : Voordelen voor ondernemers in 2017
- November 29, 2017 : Lieve Sinterklaas, Nov 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Werkbezoek (deel 2), Oktober 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Werkbezoek, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART ondernemers gaan de boer op, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : Wat een pomp kan doen voor B&B, juli 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Volg live de voortgang van de drillers, Juni 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, Mei 2017
- May 11, 2017 : En nu verder..., April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : We komen op TV, Maart 2017
- March 20, 2017 : Wereldwaterdag: Wandelen voor water
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technische training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Enkele resultaten uit 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wilde Ganzen verdubbelt “Water voor Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres delen kennis, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Sla Regenwater op in grootste & goedkoopste tank, Okt. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water voor Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Ontdek het SMART Shoppen, Aug 2016
- August 4, 2016 : Waar kwamen die 3 wijzen plots vandaan? (juli 2016)
- July 6, 2016 : Een Trotse Ondernemer, juni 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Water Door en Voor ondernemers. Mei 2016
- April 5, 2016 : Nu ook training in de lokale taal. April 2016
- March 1, 2016 : In een klap 60% verder. Mrt 2016
- February 4, 2016 : Hoe word je zichtbaar? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Enkele hoogtepunten van het laatste half jaar! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : Op audiëntie bij de Vice President, Mevr. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, Jacana is gestart met de begeleiding van de 3 dames, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 keer een Vrouw, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, de eerste drie daagse basis training is afgerond, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pas voor subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Goed nieuws van de belastingdienst subscriber subscriber, juli 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Op naar Zambia subscriber subscriber, juni 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1 Mei, de lancering van Jacana Zaken Empowerment
As an additional source of income, Adrinah wants to grow oyster mushrooms, this requires a lot of water. Jacana decided to organize a course on growing oyster mushrooms. Five other interested people had registered for this.Bernadette Phiri was asked to facilitate the...
This month Eastern Manual Drilling (EMD, trained by Jacana SMART Centre Zambia) celebrates its first year of existence and what a year it was: EMD drilled 148 boreholes and provided almost 10,000 people with affordable access to water. EMD now buys pipes in bulk. Last...
The only way to provide water for all, to a growing population in developing countries, is to capacitate the same people to solve that problem. EMAS and SMART Centres have been training and guiding small-scale entrepreneurs in developing countries for many years....
Our Jacana employees and drillers from Eastern Manual Drilling have recently been trained in the electronic surveying of soil structures with Vertical Electrical Sounding (VES) and Horizontal Electrical Profiling (HEP). Randy Jones and Ray McKee from the USA revealed...
This #WWWeek SMART Centres present "Water entrepreneurs" (25 Aug) + "Sanitation entrepreneurs" (28 Aug) and more @siwi_water talk to us at our both.Read more at: www.worldwaterweek.org
Three very enthusiast team members and one of the founders and CEO from Marie-Stella-Maris from Amsterdam visited our projects in Zambia last mid-July.Marie-Stella-Maris funded a water project in Chipata district in 2018 and funds a three-year project in...
Allow me to introduce myself: My name is Bert Pfleger member of the EMAS board (Germany). Together with Wolfgang Buchner, who is the founder of the EMAS training centre and has more than 40 years experience in the Self-supply, we traveled to Zambia last...
In April & May 2019, a very enthusiast and assorted group of 4 welders and 8 drillers has been trained in Lundazi, Zambia. The 12 participants were selected in several steps from a pool of 45 candidates. After interviews and visits to workshops, we...
We are starting a new three-year water project, sponsored by Marie-Stella-Maris, and a lot is involved. Basically it will be a copy-paste story and it should be easy with the experience we have gained in Chipata, but we can't get away with it that easily. The bridge...
WaterAid Zambia and Jacana signed a Memorandum of Understanding for five years. Both parties foresee challenges realising Sustainable Development Goal 6.1 by 2030, achieve universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all.The...
To our great joy we can announce that Jacana has been chosen as the winner of the 2018/2019 Jobena Award.This is a huge recognition and boost for Jacana's work.Jobena Foundation was founded in 1996 with the aim of supporting cultural projects and...
Learn manual borehole drilling in tutorial below. Jacana SMART Centre trains manual drillers of boreholes. It’s very difficult to explain what is happening deep under the surface (40m).This tutorial is a combination of videos and animations and shows also...
De Kerstman shop-t al Jaren online, zo ook dit jaar, gewoon in de winkel die hij gewend is. Echter dit jaar doet hij dat via deze link https://www.sponsorkliks.com/winkels.php?club=6138 zodat een gezin in Afrika ook van zijn gulle gift geniet.En het...
Lieve Sinterklaas, Nog even snel een kado kopen?Zonder naar de winkel te lopen? Regel het hier on-lijn,zonder dat er extra kosten zijn. Steun de mensen op ' t Afrikaanse continent,terwijl u vriend en familie verwend. Het kado is op tijd,en een Zambiaans...
Current Situation Over the past year Jacana supported the trained welders and drillers in expanding their business. It is time to view the current situation. There are 4 welders and 14 drillers actively engaged in producing pumps, drilling boreholes and...
SMART symposium Simple, Market-based, Affordable, Repairable, Technologies. A practical approach to reach SDG 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8 November 13 to 16, 2018 in Mzuzu, Malawi SMART stands for Simple, Market-based, Affordable and Repairable...
Although the first generation has just started, it seems like Khova ward in Zambia is already developing a new generation of manual drillers. Here under: the first generation trained and mentored in June 2018 by Jacana SMART Centre Zambia....
What can we learn from this picture about sustainable development and reaching united nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Jacana SMART Centre Zambia presented “Boosting rural economies and creating sustainable water supplies for the most...
Jacana and trained entrepreneurs from the water sector will demonstrate their knowledge on provincial agriculture and commercial show in Chipata stadium next Friday and Saturday, July 6 and 7.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HZ5xBIezuN0?fs=1;autoplay=0;rel=0;controls=1;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> Jacana has been able...
Position: Field officer in Water Sector Location: Starting in Chipata and maybe later during the year other districts in Eastern Province Start Date: 1-8-2018 Background Jacana supports small Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing...
With the deepest heartfelt condolences to the family and friends, we wish to announce the passing on of our beloved and hardworking driller Mr. Steven Zulu who passed away on Friday 13th April 2018. Steven was trained by Jacana in manual drilling, as an...
Jacana SMART Training Center trained a year ago welders and drillers to expand their businesses. The welders have learned how to make a rope pump using local materials and the drillers how to drill boreholes manually up to 40 meters deep. In addition, they...
We regret to announce the passing on of our treasurer Mr. John Vaessens, who died on Sunday 1-4-2018. John was involved in Jacana Netherlands from the very beginning. He was working as our treasurer with a lot of dedication, passion and selflessness. Our...
Come and drill yourself a borehole. See you 5 or 6 April 8:00 - 12:00 at Msekera Research Centre field days next week in Chipata.
Frank Leenen was in Zambia and helped five beekeepers: Maria, Chrispin, Brandson, Phiri and Bridgit. General reaction : There is some much we still need to learn. Frank, thanks so much but you have to stay longer!
International training course “Market-led SMARTechs for water and agriculture” 19th to 23rd of March 2018 in Mzuzu, Malawi The SMART Centre SNV are organising an introductory short course to provide policy makers and practitioners in water and...
Entrepreneurs for Water disinfect open wells for free. Now let's work together and see how we can solve the issue. People need water and will have to use the water that is available to them. Reality is that not everybody has pipeline water and many simply...
Several communities have worked hard constructing toilets. They are officially declared Open Defecation Free. Now clean water is coming their way thanks to a donation from the "Marie-Stella-Maris foundation".
George had to pay for a water truck to bring water to his building site. After a simple calculation he decided to invest in a rope pump instead of paying for the truck. He not only safes money but now the house also has water once it is completed. George...
Small scale entrepreneur create jobs and they show that it is possible to escape poverty on own power. Some of them need a little well targeted support. Watch their video at https://jacana.help/entrepreneurs and give to one of them.
Loving, caring and dedicated teacher Petronella Kuwenda runs a private pre-school. She wants to expand but needs safe water for the children. Drillers and pump producers (trained by Jacana) from the same area will help her.
With the affordable pump and hand drilled borehole, Uveren' Gapi Jere now extended her farmland and farms even in dry season.
Farmer James Mbewe provides free water to his community. Each bucket they get, helps James irrigate his garden. This way 50 families have free water and James can farm the whole year.
Joshua lost his entire tomatoes harvest because of drought. With an affordable and easy to repair pump he will never lose a harvest again this way.
Sally Sutton represents Jacana SMART Centre Zambia at the International waTER Conference on September 18-20, 2017 at the University of Oklahoma.
SMART Centres present at World Water Week in Stockholm, 27 August – 1 September, 2017 visit Booth nr 18. Learn about SMARTechs like Manual drilling, handpumps, groundwater recharge...
Agri Pro focus is a network for business minded farmers. On 24 and 25 August 2017 more than 500 local farmers met in Chipata. Jacana SMART Centre was present, drilling in the garden of the hotel, demonstrating a working rope pump. Local trained entrepreneurs pitched...
Jacana SMART Centre presents at WEDC: "How can Self-supply help reaching SDG6?" Tuesday 25 July – afternoon 15.30 – 17.00 Loughborough University UK, Session C5: Room WPT003 Let's talk at the exhibition site SMART Centre Group.
SMART Centre Jacana is monitoring all new boreholes and pumps. Most pumps are partly sponsored but already now, 4 months after training, Self-supply started. Two boreholes with pumps are privately bought. Have a look at https://jacana.help/mwater and witness the...
On 16th June, Jacana called a follow up meeting for the welders and drillers who received the technical training in March. During this meeting, entrepreneurs had the opportunity to highlight challenges and discuss possible solutions to the challenges. The...
Jacana closed this year’s first quarter with her usual 3 day entrepreneurship training significantly dominated by young and potential entrepreneurs.This time Jacana trained a mix of experienced and start-up entrepreneurs, this combination created an atmosphere of...
Jacana selected some villages around Chipata where 50 partly sponsored pumps will be installed. Families will be the owners of the pumps and are responsible for the maintenance. These families have a plan to earn some money with the pump, because they get access to...
The welders produced the first rope pump in their own workshop. Jacana monitors the quality and if the pump is of good quality, the welders get money for production of four more pumps. The first pump will be installed in front of their workshop as an example. The...
The drillers are manually drilling boreholes at their own workshop and the workshops of the welders, this to gain experience and to make working examples to convince potential clients. Jacana monitors and guides the proces.
Jacana on Dutch national TV Jacana will be on Dutch national Television NPO2 this morning 9 April 11:57 on channel 2 just before the news in a programe of WildeGanzenNL .
Walk for water 2017 Wednesday (March 22 2017), pupils of Montessori Green Ring Doves (all locations) walked for water. Each with 6 liters of water on their backs through the Horsterpark in Duiven, the Netherlands. Mayor Rik de Lange opened the event at 9:00 and and...
EMAS pump production training On 27th of February, Jacana invited all welders and drillers for a training in Emas pump production. This was an amazing and successful task for all of them, as shown in the picture. They are testing their first Emas pump. it was really...
How Castricum supported Water for Zambia The foundation "Castricum helpt Muttathara" build the foundation for Jacana SMART water centre Zambia through their support to the "Water for Zambia" programme. Here a snapshot of some results: We are very pleased that...
SMART Centres at RWSN conference Several SMART Centres have been allocated time to share their experience at Rural Water Supply Network forum (RWSN) to be held on 29th Nov - 2nd Dec: Presentations: "Drilling & Hand-dug wells. Manual SHIPO and Mzuzu drilling)"...
How SMART Centres contribute to SDG6 How SMART Centres contribute to Sustainable Development Goal 6: "Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all" Presentation by Jacana at Ministry of Local Government and Housing, Zambia...
Online shops donate to Jacana 300 Online shops contribute a percentage of your purchase to Jacana. It does not cost you anything extra. So next time you go to your online shop go via this link:: https://www.sponsorkliks.com. It does not cost you anything extra. For...
Presentation at World Water Week Stockholm Today interesting presentation on "SMART Centres: Water & jobs by training local entrepreneurs" @siwi_water World Water Week, Stockholm 16:00-17:30! How can we provide sustainable water to rural Africa with Simple Market...
First Lean Canvas Business training in Nyanja For the First time ever Jacana facilitated the business training in a local African language (Nyanja). The trainees completed all the steps of the Lean Canvas Model under guidance of Pious. The training was evaluated as...
Four volunteer Experts active for Jacana At the moment (Febr 2016), there are four volunteer experts active in guiding entrepreneurs under the Jacana programme: Jeanette Biesbroeck for Ireen Le Tran for Wamunjima Jeroen Reith for Xavier Maren Bruin for Joseph &...
The Rabobank believes in our approach. The Rabobank staff fund covers 60% of the guidance costs for 8 small entrepreneurs in Zambia. This also means that the remaining 40% needs to be covered by crowd funding.
1 Jan 2016 Preparing for water Jacana researches the possibilities to develop a SMART training centre for low cost water Technologies, a centre similar as SHIPO in Tanzania. This centre fits perfectly with the current method of Jacana, entrepreneurs depending on water...
Make your practical Business Plan on the air. Tune in, together we will make your practical business plan and teach you how to use it. Radio PAN African 105.1 FM Monday 21 Dec 14:00 Lines are open we answer your questions on Monday 21 Dec 14:00-15:00 (radius of 100 km...
Vice President, Mrs. Inonge Wina, receives Jacana in audience. Wednesday 25 of November Jacana together with Farise visited the Vice President. The visit was initiated by two potential female MP’s (Members of Parliament). The Vice President and the future PM’s want to...
Train the trainer Jacana started the second series of business, financial and marketing training for entrepreneurs who want to expand their businesses. One goal of Jacana is to train local trainers. Pious took over a part of the business training under guidance of...
Second training session started Jacana started in November with the second business, financial and marketing training for fifteen enthusiastic small entrepreneurs from Zambia.
New employee Since 1 November Pious Nyirongo works for Jacana. Pious has a diploma in Human Resource Management and worked for a mine company as assistant HR. After that he worked as guest house manager and HR manager for GCMF. In his free time he is a senior Pastor...
Donation from The Johanna Donk-Grote Foundation The Johanna Donk-Grote Foundation supports three of the four basic trainings over a period of one year. Jacana selects from these trainings the most promising entrepreneurs for an intensive program. These entrepreneurs...
Jacana started guiding the three selected ladies. Follow data on guidance at the project pages: Hilda, Ireen and Mirriam
Jacana facilitated the first 3-days basic training During this training the participants were trained in writing a business , financial and marketing plan. All participants went home with the first version of their own business and financial plan for expanding their...
First meeting of Zambian Board The board for the Zambian branch of Jacana has met for the first time on 10th of August. This experienced and motivated team will guide the foundation in to a bright future. Read all about their backgrounds here.
Startup Witness how cost efficient the new Zambian Jacana office is being furnished and watch how the "data centre" is equipped to overcome all kinds of (unfortunately common) power problems.
Arrival in Zambia Dinie and Rik arrived on 23rd of June in Lusaka, they travelled from there to their new home. The staff of Group Farm project in Chisamba welcomed them warmly. For now the Jacana-Zambia office will be located on this project site along the Great...
Good news from TAX authorities Jacana has been awarded with a ANBI certificate from the Dutch Tax Authorities. Therefore Dutch donors can benefit from tax deductions up to 52%. See: https://jacana.help/about/anbi Already 65% (€ 19,491.-) of the start-up...
31 May 2015 Donation of Haëlla Foundation Haëlla Foundation funded Jacana for the basic training of Zambian entrepreneurs. Jacana will conduct this year four basic trainings and Jacana will select from these trainings the most promising entrepreneurs for an intensive...
1 May 2015 A perfect day to launch Jacana Business Empowerment Jacana supports small African entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow by linking them to experienced experts in the same sector. “Small investment, big impact”
31 Mar 2015 Board in the Netherlands Jacana Business Empowerment foundation was founded on 31st of March 2015. The board signed the statute at a notary office in Maastricht. Members of the board: Chairman: Rik Haanen Secretary: Laura Kurth Treasurer: John Vaessens...