News3 Most recent
In large parts of the world, people do not give a second thought to where the water from the tap comes from. It is so taken for granted that there is access to water at any time of the day. Thankfully. Unfortunately, the reality for many people in other parts of the...
It is a known fact that access to water plays a key role in development. Good located boreholes create access to ground water, reduce poverty and increase health. Drilling boreholes is a costly and risky business. High quality borehole siting can reduce that risk...
Also this year Eastern Manual Drilling won the first prize in the Agricultural show in Chipata Zambia. Want to know more about them: www.emd-zambia.comCongratulations. Keep up the good work.
- September 26, 2023 Water around the corner with your own rope pump, September 2023
- July 29, 2023 Borehole siting training register now, July 2023
- July 5, 2023 Zambian farmers in problems, June 2023
- May 5, 2023 Results year one “From autopilot farmer to Champion”, April 2023
- April 5, 2023 Make your own compost, March 2023
- March 17, 2023 Worldwide interest in affordable water solutions is rising rapidly, March 2023
- March 7, 2023 From helper to driller, Febr 2023
- February 8, 2023 Entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs, Jan 2023
- January 2, 2023 New video tutorial manual borehole drilling, Jan 2023
- December 25, 2022 2023, will be the year of the SMART-market concept, Dec 2022
- December 6, 2022 Making your own poultry feed, Nov 2022
- November 2, 2022 Affordable greenhouse tunnels for small-scale farmers, Oct 2022
- September 29, 2022 Bee project, Sept 2022
- September 6, 2022 Visit to Zambia, Aug 2022
- July 26, 2022 SMARTechs now also in the north-western province, July 2022
- June 29, 2022 Frederick Phiri, VES borehole siting, June 2022
- June 1, 2022 Gaining inspiration from champion farmers, May 20222
- April 5, 2022 Training (solar) pump selection and installation, March 2022
- March 3, 2022 Solar training started, Feb 2022
- January 29, 2022 Want to become a solar entrepreneur and beekeeping project, Jan 2022
- December 21, 2021 New Year's campaign: Put Zambia in the spotlight, Dec 2021
- December 3, 2021 Newly qualified water entrepreneurs, Nov 2021
- November 3, 2021 By and for Zambian water entrepreneurs, Oct 2021
- October 1, 2021 Jacana SMART Center Petauke started, Sep 2021
- September 2, 2021 Solar designers and installers, Aug 2021
- July 28, 2021 A new SMART training centre, Juli 2021
- July 4, 2021 Construction of Jacana Business Centre is ready, June 2021
- May 31, 2021 Jacana starts a third SMART Training Centre, May 2021
- May 2, 2021 A new solar driven pump era has started, April 2021
- April 1, 2021 Martha, farmer and beekeeper, March 2021
- March 1, 2021 Is "corona here to stay"?
- January 6, 2021 Best wishes for 2021, Jan 2021
- December 22, 2020 End of year event for small-scale farmers, Dec 2020.
- December 4, 2020 Solar pumps and filters, Nov 2020.
- October 30, 2020 Building Jacana Business Centre, Oct 2020.
- October 1, 2020 More than 100 beekeepers trained, Sep 2020
- August 28, 2020 Goal achieved "Water for health centers" and how to make a borehole siting machine, Aug 2020.
- August 1, 2020 Construction has started, July 2020
- July 1, 2020 Organic training in Lundazi, Zambia, June 2020
- May 30, 2020 How Corona affects our work, May 2020
- May 5, 2020 Water for all health centres in Eastern Zambia, April 2020
- March 31, 2020 : Jacana and EMD contribute against COVID-19, March 2020
- February 21, 2020 : Beekeeping train the trainer programme, Feb 2020
- February 1, 2020 : A chain of entrepreneurs who help each other, Jan 2020
- December 26, 2019 : Take a look backstage, Dec 2019
- December 18, 2019 : Jacana Business Centre, Dec 2019
- November 22, 2019 : Cultivation of oyster mushrooms, Nov 2019
- October 17, 2019 : Water for all, in a growing population; EMAS and SMART Centres join forces, Oct 2019
- September 26, 2019 : Electronic surveying to find best borehole location, Sep 2019
- August 31, 2019 : Organic farming for beekeepers, Aug 2019
- August 1, 2019 : Marie-Stella-Maris visits Jacana projects, July 2019
- June 23, 2019 : Increasing drilling and pump portfolio with EMAS techniques, June 2019
- May 28, 2019 : Training entrepreneurs for water in Lundazi & Chasefu, May 2019
- April 27, 2019 : Training of beekeepers, April 2019
- March 28, 2019 : Jacana opens an office in Lundazi, maart 2019
- March 1, 2019 : WaterAid and Jacana, February 2019
- January 25, 2019 : How is the Eastern Manual Drilling cooperative limited doing? January 2019
- December 22, 2018 : Visit Sally Sutton & Jobena doubles, December 2018
- November 28, 2018 : Tutorial: Manual borehole drilling in 15 minutes, Nov 2018
- October 17, 2018 : Professionalizing of manual drilling, Oct 2018
- September 29, 2018 : Jacana won Jobena Award 2018/2019
- August 15, 2018 : A day working in Khova Ward, August 2018
- July 6, 2018 : Technical training, July 2018
- May 9, 2018 : The power of female entrepreneurs. May 2018
- April 13, 2018 : Self-supply works, April 2018
- March 16, 2018 : Visit of Bee-expert, Maart 2018
- February 20, 2018 : Gray is not always old, Feb. 2018
- January 19, 2018 : Entrepreneurs fight against cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 22, 2017 : Entrepreneur’s benefit in 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Working visit (part 2), October 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Working visit, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART entrepreneurs are popular, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : What a pump can do for B&B, July 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Follow progress of drillers live, June 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, May 2017
- May 11, 2017 : And now…, April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : Results of SMARTech training, March 2017
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technical training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Some results from 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wild Geeze doubles “Water for Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres sharing skills, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Store Rain water in largest & cheapest tank, Oct. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water for Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Discover SMART shopping, Aug 2016
- August 3, 2016 : Where did these 3 wise men came from? (Juli 2016)
- July 5, 2016 : A Proud Entrepreneur, June 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Entrepreneurs for water & Water for entrepreneurs. May 2016
- April 5, 2016 : First time ever Lean Canvas Training in local language Nyanja. April 2016
- March 2, 2016 : In one blow 60% further. March 2016
- February 4, 2016 : How do you become visible? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Some highlights of the last half year! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : In audience with the Vice President, Mrs. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana started guiding the 3 ladies, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 times a Lady, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hi subscriber, Jacana facilitated the first 3-days basic training, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pass for subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Good news from the Tax authorities and more subscriber subscriber, July 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Preparation for Zambia subscriber subscriber, June 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1st May launching Jacana Business Empowerment
- September 25, 2023 Water om de hoek met je eigen touwpomp, September 2023
- August 1, 2023 Het zoeken naar de beste plek om te boren (borehole siting), Juli 2023
- July 2, 2023 Zambiaanse boeren in de problemen, juni 2023
- May 2, 2023 Resultaten jaar één “From autopilot farmer to Champion”, april 2023
- April 4, 2023 Zelf compost maken, maart 2023
- March 16, 2023 Wereldwijd neemt de belangstelling voor betaalbare wateroplossingen snel toe, Maart 2023
- March 7, 2023 Van helper tot driller, febr 2023
- February 6, 2023 Ondernemers voor ondernemers, Jan 2023
- January 1, 2023 Nieuwe video-tutorial handmatig boren, Jan 2023
- December 24, 2022 2023, wordt het jaar van het SMART-markt concept, Dec 2022
- December 5, 2022 Zelf professioneel kippenvoer maken, Nov 2022
- November 1, 2022 Betaalbare broeikas voor kleinschalige boeren, Okt 2022
- September 27, 2022 Bijenproject, Sept 2022
- September 5, 2022 Bezoek aan Zambia, Aug 2022
- July 25, 2022 SMARTechs nu ook in de noordwestelijke provincie, Juli 2022
- June 28, 2022 Frederick Phiri, VES bodemonderzoeker, Juni 2022
- May 31, 2022 Inspiratie opdoen bij champion farmers, Mei 2022
- April 4, 2022 Training (solar) pomp selectie en installatie, Maart 2022
- March 1, 2022 Solar training is gestart, Feb 2022
- January 28, 2022 Bijen project en zonne energie project gaan van start, Jan 2022
- December 20, 2021 Nieuwjaarsactie: Zambia in het zonnetje, Dec 2021
- December 2, 2021 Nieuw gekwalificeerde water ondernemers, Nov 2021
- November 2, 2021 Door en voor Zambiaanse water ondernemers, Okt 2021
- September 30, 2021 Jacana SMART Center Petauke is gestart, Sep 2021
- September 1, 2021 Solar adviseurs en installateurs , Aug 2021
- July 27, 2021 Een nieuw SMART training centrum, Juli 2021
- July 3, 2021 Bouw van Jacana Business Centrum is klaar, Juni 2021
- May 30, 2021 Jacana start een derde SMART Training Centrum, Mei 2021
- May 1, 2021 Een nieuw tijdperk voor solar pompen is aangebroken, April 2021
- March 31, 2021 Martha, boerin en bijenhouder, Maart 2021
- February 27, 2021 Is "corona here to stay"? Feb 2021
- January 7, 2021 Beste wensen voor 2021, Jan 2021
- December 21, 2020 Eindejaarsactie voor kleinschalige boeren, Dec 2020.
- November 29, 2020 Solar-pompen en filters, nov 2020.
- October 29, 2020 Bouw van Jacana Business Centre, okt 2020.
- September 30, 2020 Meer dan 100 bijenhouders getraind, sep 2020.
- August 26, 2020 Doel bereikt "Water voor gezondheidscentra" en hoe je een borehole siting machine kunt maken, aug 2020.
- July 31, 2020 De bouw is begonnen, juli 2020
- June 29, 2020 Biologische landbouwtraining in Lundazi, Zambia, juni 2020
- May 28, 2020 Hoe Corona ons werk beïnvloedt, mei 2020
- May 4, 2020 Water voor alle gezondheidscentra in Oost Zambia, April 2020
- March 30, 2020 : Jacana en EMD dragen een steentje bij, Maart 2020
- February 20, 2020 : Bijen train de trainer programma, Feb 2020
- January 31, 2020 : Een keten van ondernemers helpt elkaar, Jan 2020
- December 25, 2019 : Een kijkje achter de schermen, Dec 2019
- December 17, 2019 : Jacana bedrijven centrum, Dec 2019
- November 21, 2019 : Oesterzwammen kweken, november 2019
- October 17, 2019 : Water voor een groeiende bevolking in Afrika; EMAS en SMART Centers bundelen krachten, okt 2019
- September 26, 2019 : Elektronisch bodemonderzoek, sep 2019
- August 30, 2019 : Organische landbouw voor bijenhouders, aug 2019
- August 1, 2019 : Marie-Stella-Maris bezoekt Jacana projecten, juli 2019
- June 23, 2019 : Uitbreiding boor en pomp portfolio met EMAS technieken, juni 2019
- May 27, 2019 : Training van water ondernemers in Lundazi & Chasefu, mei 2019
- April 26, 2019 : Training voor bijenhouders, april 2019
- March 27, 2019 : Jacana opent een kantoor in Lundazi, maart 2019
- February 28, 2019 : WaterAid en Jacana, februari 2019
- January 25, 2019 : Hoe doet Eastern Manual Drilling cooperative limited het? Januari 2019
- December 21, 2018 : Bezoek van Sally en Jobena verdubbeld, december 2018
- December 3, 2018 : Nog even snel een cadeautje kopen?
- November 27, 2018 : Tutorial: Handmatig borehole drilling in 15 minuten, nov 2018
- October 16, 2018 : Professionalisering van handmatig drillen, okt 2018
- September 28, 2018 : Jacana winnaar Jobenaprijs 2018/2019
- August 11, 2018 : Een dagje werken in Khova Ward, aug 2018
- July 25, 2018 : Droogte, juli 2018
- July 5, 2018 : Technische training, juli 2018
- May 8, 2018 : De kracht van de vrouwelijke ondernemer, mei 2018
- April 12, 2018 : Self-supply werkt, April 2018
- March 15, 2018 : Bijen expert op bezoek, Maart 2018
- February 19, 2018 : Grijs is niet perse oud, Feb. 2018
- January 18, 2018 : Ondernemers bestrijden Cholera, Jan. 2018
- December 21, 2017 : Voordelen voor ondernemers in 2017
- November 29, 2017 : Lieve Sinterklaas, Nov 2017
- November 9, 2017 : Werkbezoek (deel 2), Oktober 2017
- October 10, 2017 : Werkbezoek, September 2017
- September 7, 2017 : SMART ondernemers gaan de boer op, Aug 2017
- August 17, 2017 : Wat een pomp kan doen voor B&B, juli 2017
- July 20, 2017 : Volg live de voortgang van de drillers, Juni 2017
- June 13, 2017 : Water is business, Mei 2017
- May 11, 2017 : En nu verder…, April 2017
- April 6, 2017 : We komen op TV, Maart 2017
- March 20, 2017 : Wereldwaterdag: Wandelen voor water
- March 2, 2017 : SMART technische training, Feb. 2017
- February 2, 2017 : Enkele resultaten uit 2016, Jan. 2017
- December 15, 2016 : Wilde Ganzen verdubbelt “Water voor Zambia”, Dec. 2016
- November 25, 2016 : SMART Centres delen kennis, Nov. 2016
- November 2, 2016 : Sla Regenwater op in grootste & goedkoopste tank, Okt. 2016
- October 4, 2016 : Water voor Zambia, Sept. 2016
- September 1, 2016 : Ontdek het SMART Shoppen, Aug 2016
- August 4, 2016 : Waar kwamen die 3 wijzen plots vandaan? (juli 2016)
- July 6, 2016 : Een Trotse Ondernemer, juni 2016
- May 2, 2016 : Water Door en Voor ondernemers. Mei 2016
- April 5, 2016 : Nu ook training in de lokale taal. April 2016
- March 1, 2016 : In een klap 60% verder. Mrt 2016
- February 4, 2016 : Hoe word je zichtbaar? Feb 2016
- January 5, 2016 : Enkele hoogtepunten van het laatste half jaar! (Jan 2016)
- December 3, 2015 : Op audiëntie bij de Vice President, Mevr. Inonge Wina (Dec 2015)
- November 12, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, Jacana is gestart met de begeleiding van de 3 dames, Nov 2015
- October 1, 2015 : HIM = 3 keer een Vrouw, Oct 2015
- September 8, 2015 : Hoi subscriber, de eerste drie daagse basis training is afgerond, Sept 2015
- August 13, 2015 : Backstage Meet & Greet pas voor subscriber subscriber, Aug 2015
- July 2, 2015 : Goed nieuws van de belastingdienst subscriber subscriber, juli 2015
- May 26, 2015 : Op naar Zambia subscriber subscriber, juni 2015
- May 1, 2015 : 1 Mei, de lancering van Jacana Zaken Empowerment
There are several ways to make organic fertilizer, each with their pros and cons. Jacana has developed a training course in which different ways of making compost are taught. All ingredients are available in Zambia. On March 28, the first training was held for farmers...
Worldwide interest in affordable water solutions is rising rapidly. Opportunities for you to learn and share: Event: UN Water Conference, Book: Self-supply Filling the gaps, Detailed study: SMART Approach. Next week UN Water Conference will be held in New York. This...
Since 2017, Jacana has trained several entrepreneurs in manual borehole drilling. There are currently 20 drillers active. When a driller receives an assignment to drill a borehole, his team consists of a fellow driller and two to four helpers. The driller in charge...
Jacana focuses on small scale entrepreneurs; for example water for farmers, training and mentoring for beekeepers or chicken farmers and so on.Baseline Before Jacana starts a project in a new rural area, we like to know more about the people living in the area. We...
The turn of the year invites us to reflect on the past, Jacana has just evaluated the last 7 years and, thanks to your help, has come to some wonderful conclusions. We started small with business training and guiding entrepreneurs. After the first year, we specialised...
In a business training which Jacana conducted in May a female entrepreneur and two women groups wanted to expand into raising chickens, both laying hens and meat chickens. As always in a Jacana business training, they did a calculation of the cost of keeping chickens....
Together with a professional and very experienced greenhouse builder https://www.haygrove.com/zm, we developed an affordable high quality tunnel and tested it. Now we are looking for small-scale entrepreneurs who can sell and build these tunnels as a business and in...
Background information Jacana has trained and guided many local beekeepers in recent years. Some beekeepers had only 1 hive and others had more than 30 hives, a wide variety. What they all had in common was that they had hardly any knowledge of how to keep bees. That...
DAPP has several projects all over Zambia. Recently, they started a project for water and sanitation in the north-western part of Zambia. For that project, DAPP called in the help of Jacana. One of the objectives of the project is to provide affordable water solutions...
Eastern Manual Drilling cooperative (EMD) trained by Jacana SMART Center in Zambia won the 1st price yesterday at the provincial agro-show. EMD also presented them selves and won prices at the district agro-shows in Petauke, Chipata and Lundazi. Well done guys!
Jacana has trained and guided many small-scale entrepreneurs in recent years with the aim of enabling them to expand their businesses. Frederick Phiri is one of these entrepreneurs. Frederick is 23 years old and lives in Chipata with his father, mother, 3 brothers and...
Position Senior Agro field officer Location Chipata, Zambia Starting date 1st September 2022 Deadline 21st August 2022 <<CLOSED>> Background: Jacana supports small-scale Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow. For more information...
There are so many different types of solar equipment available at your local market, but does anybody in your neighborhood knows how to select the best combination? You will after studying this manual. The solar design and installation manual is designed for...
Solar training For the past 5 years, Jacana has mainly focused on water for Zambia. We feel that we have made a significant impact in the eastern province of Zambia. By now, three SMART training centers have been established, more than 70,000 people got access to...
Zambia is located just below the equator, not a bad place for solar energy.Many local shops offer a wide variety of solar products, but every retailer wants to sell what is in his or her store and wants to sell as much of it as possible. Our experience is that there...
Position: Field officer Apply before: 1 Jan 2022 passed! Closed Location: Petauke, Zambia Background Jacana supports small Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow. Jacana has two departments one is focussing on general entrepreneurs and the other on...
Stichting Jacana is een non-profit organisatie werkzaam in Zambia. THIS POSITION IS FILLED Jacana is in 2015 opgericht om kleine ondernemers in Zambia te ondersteunen in het uitbreiden van hun bedrijf, zodat de ondernemers betere leefomstandigheden voor hun gezin...
After six months of hard work, the water entrepreneurs in Petauke have been trained and are now ready to drill boreholes and install pumps independently without supervision.The tools for manual drilling and the rope pumps are supplied by the trained welders and...
Every now and then we are asked why trainers come from “far”. And by “far” we mean the Netherlands, USA, Tanzania and Malawi, among others. The reason for this is simple: we first need to train local trainers and they must have sufficient experience. When we started...
Covid-19 restricted our training programmes, but risks have reduced and we are allowed to train again. Just in time for the Jacana SMART Centre in Petauke to kick-off. Over the past two months, a lot of hard work has gone into providing the office in Petauke (which is...
See an article about Jacana SMART Centres in a Dutch printed paper. Read the digital copy here. Jacana will also be on Dutch national television once again NPO 2 on 24 October 2021around 12:55.
Reaching 50% of SDG 6 target group in Sub Sahara Africa with water at household level and Self-supply.
This is our contribution to Stockholm World Water Week. The session was about Self-supply and water security for all so allow me to I start with a statement. Can we provide 50% of the SDG6 target group with family owned water supply; without spending more than...
After a year of hard work, Jacana Business Center is finally ready. With a team of 33 people, we worked on it for a year. Of course we had setbacks, but overall everything was achieved within the set goals. How it all started In 2016 Jacana moved from central Zambia...
Position: Technical field officer in Water Sector Location: Starting in Petauke and maybe later during the year other districts in Eastern Province Start Date: 1 September 2021 Background Jacana supports small Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow....
1. How much water do you need per day? and 2. What is the pressure your pump must deliver? Each pump sales person should ask these questions. In most cases, your first estimated answer will be way off. As a result, the pump you are buying is too expensive. 1....
Great book on Self-supply Filling the gaps in public water supply provision by Dr. Sally Suton and John Butterworth. On the first day of publication, the book was downloaded more than 500 times already.‘Self-supply has long been overlooked because it is largely...
As one of the COVID-19 responses the Jacana SMART Centre in Zambia took the initiative to provide water to Health Centres in Eastern Zambia. This initiative was supported by Wilde Ganzen and several other donors. The Dutch Water sector wrote an news article about this...
2020 was a challenging year for all of us. Covid-19 has turned the whole world upside down. Fortunately, in Zambia, we have been less affected than expected. Why, is still a great mystery, but we hope that it will remain this way. This does not alter the fact that...
Position: Field officer Apply before: 15 Jan 2021 CLOSED Location: Chipata, Zambia Background Jacana supports small-scale Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing their plans to grow. Jacana has two departments one is focussing on general entrepreneurs and the other on...
Last year we were able to test some very affordable solar pumps. One of them was very good (€ 35). This year we are again testing a range of other solar pumps of similar design. The demand for affordable solar pumps is high and once again thanks to Marie-Stella-Maris...
Why Jacana Business Centre? Just a quick refresher: why is Jacana building a Business Centre? In this centre we want to give small scale entrepreneurs a chance to expand their business with the help of Jacana. This can be in the provision of office and/or work space,...
Thanks to funding through Transform International Canada, we trained 132 beekeepers in the past two months. Frank Leenen (PUM) has trained four local trainers in basic knowledge of beekeeping and Pious Nyirongo has taken on the business part. Jacana believes it is...
You can imagine that the equipment for borehole siting (Vertical Electric Sounding or VES) has been used intensively in recent months. Not only within our own province for the clinics, but even beyond on a two day drive from Lundazi, 10 sites have been measured....
We supplied water to all the clinics in Eastern Province, which had no water and where we could reach groundwater. This means that almost all clinics in Eastern Province have water. Unfortunately, a number of clinics have been built in places where we and even heavy...
After postponing the training of agro-trainers due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Jacana finally reopened its doors on Monday June 22nd 2020, to its four highly motivated participants in organic farming. In the "Water for Lundazi and Chasefu" project sponsored by...
Thanks: funds for “Water for health centres Eastern Zambia” has been raised and work is progressing.
Thanks to your generous donations, the total amount of water for health centres in the Eastern Province has been raised and is doubled by Wilde Ganzen. We visited and checked all 70 health centres who said they needed water, 34 health centres met Jacana's criteria....
The fact that most hospitals in Zambia do not have respirators is terrible at this time. But the fact that more than 10% of the health centres in Eastern Zambia, an area the size the Netherlands, has no water to wash hands, is a disaster. If not addressed, these...
Unfortunately, the first people in Zambia tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. All kinds of measures have been announced by the President, one of them is washing hands and keeping a distance. This will be quite a challenge for Zambian people.Most Zambians buy their...
Train the trainer Thanks to a donation from Transform International Canada, Jacana was able to develop a train the trainer course for beekeepers. With this new training we guide people who mostly "hunt" honey to professional beekeepers who can earn their living...
All part are worldwide available in common hardware shops and shops that sell car parts. Cost about $100 including solar panel. The pump is ideal for very narrow tube wells, starting at 2" (50mm) casing and bigger. Suitable for wells that produce very...
Happy new year for you and the people you care about. In 2020 Jacana will build a business centre in Zambia with the aim of creating opportunities for small scale entrepreneurs, so that they can grow economically and create better living conditions for themselves and...
As an additional source of income, Adrinah wants to grow oyster mushrooms, this requires a lot of water. Jacana decided to organize a course on growing oyster mushrooms. Five other interested people had registered for this.Bernadette Phiri was asked to facilitate the...
This month Eastern Manual Drilling (EMD, trained by Jacana SMART Centre Zambia) celebrates its first year of existence and what a year it was: EMD drilled 148 boreholes and provided almost 10,000 people with affordable access to water. EMD now buys pipes in bulk. Last...
The only way to provide water for all, to a growing population in developing countries, is to capacitate the same people to solve that problem. EMAS and SMART Centres have been training and guiding small-scale entrepreneurs in developing countries for many years....
Our Jacana employees and drillers from Eastern Manual Drilling have recently been trained in the electronic surveying of soil structures with Vertical Electrical Sounding (VES) and Horizontal Electrical Profiling (HEP). Randy Jones and Ray McKee from the USA revealed...
This #WWWeek SMART Centres present "Water entrepreneurs" (25 Aug) + "Sanitation entrepreneurs" (28 Aug) and more @siwi_water talk to us at our both.Read more at: www.worldwaterweek.org
Three very enthusiast team members and one of the founders and CEO from Marie-Stella-Maris from Amsterdam visited our projects in Zambia last mid-July.Marie-Stella-Maris funded a water project in Chipata district in 2018 and funds a three-year project in...
Allow me to introduce myself: My name is Bert Pfleger member of the EMAS board (Germany). Together with Wolfgang Buchner, who is the founder of the EMAS training centre and has more than 40 years experience in the Self-supply, we traveled to Zambia last...
In April & May 2019, a very enthusiast and assorted group of 4 welders and 8 drillers has been trained in Lundazi, Zambia. The 12 participants were selected in several steps from a pool of 45 candidates. After interviews and visits to workshops, we...
We are starting a new three-year water project, sponsored by Marie-Stella-Maris, and a lot is involved. Basically it will be a copy-paste story and it should be easy with the experience we have gained in Chipata, but we can't get away with it that easily. The bridge...
WaterAid Zambia and Jacana signed a Memorandum of Understanding for five years. Both parties foresee challenges realising Sustainable Development Goal 6.1 by 2030, achieve universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all.The...
To our great joy we can announce that Jacana has been chosen as the winner of the 2018/2019 Jobena Award.This is a huge recognition and boost for Jacana's work.Jobena Foundation was founded in 1996 with the aim of supporting cultural projects and...
Learn manual borehole drilling in tutorial below. Jacana SMART Centre trains manual drillers of boreholes. It’s very difficult to explain what is happening deep under the surface (40m).This tutorial is a combination of videos and animations and shows also...
De Kerstman shop-t al Jaren online, zo ook dit jaar, gewoon in de winkel die hij gewend is. Echter dit jaar doet hij dat via deze link https://www.sponsorkliks.com/winkels.php?club=6138 zodat een gezin in Afrika ook van zijn gulle gift geniet.En het...
Lieve Sinterklaas, Nog even snel een kado kopen?Zonder naar de winkel te lopen? Regel het hier on-lijn,zonder dat er extra kosten zijn. Steun de mensen op ' t Afrikaanse continent,terwijl u vriend en familie verwend. Het kado is op tijd,en een Zambiaans...
Current Situation Over the past year Jacana supported the trained welders and drillers in expanding their business. It is time to view the current situation. There are 4 welders and 14 drillers actively engaged in producing pumps, drilling boreholes and...
SMART symposium Simple, Market-based, Affordable, Repairable, Technologies. A practical approach to reach SDG 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8 November 13 to 16, 2018 in Mzuzu, Malawi SMART stands for Simple, Market-based, Affordable and Repairable...
Although the first generation has just started, it seems like Khova ward in Zambia is already developing a new generation of manual drillers. Here under: the first generation trained and mentored in June 2018 by Jacana SMART Centre Zambia....
What can we learn from this picture about sustainable development and reaching united nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Jacana SMART Centre Zambia presented “Boosting rural economies and creating sustainable water supplies for the most...
Jacana and trained entrepreneurs from the water sector will demonstrate their knowledge on provincial agriculture and commercial show in Chipata stadium next Friday and Saturday, July 6 and 7.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HZ5xBIezuN0?fs=1;autoplay=0;rel=0;controls=1;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> Jacana has been able...
Position: Field officer in Water Sector Location: Starting in Chipata and maybe later during the year other districts in Eastern Province Start Date: 1-8-2018 Background Jacana supports small Zambian entrepreneurs in realizing...
With the deepest heartfelt condolences to the family and friends, we wish to announce the passing on of our beloved and hardworking driller Mr. Steven Zulu who passed away on Friday 13th April 2018. Steven was trained by Jacana in manual drilling, as an...
Jacana SMART Training Center trained a year ago welders and drillers to expand their businesses. The welders have learned how to make a rope pump using local materials and the drillers how to drill boreholes manually up to 40 meters deep. In addition, they...
We regret to announce the passing on of our treasurer Mr. John Vaessens, who died on Sunday 1-4-2018. John was involved in Jacana Netherlands from the very beginning. He was working as our treasurer with a lot of dedication, passion and selflessness. Our...
Come and drill yourself a borehole. See you 5 or 6 April 8:00 - 12:00 at Msekera Research Centre field days next week in Chipata.
Frank Leenen was in Zambia and helped five beekeepers: Maria, Chrispin, Brandson, Phiri and Bridgit. General reaction : There is some much we still need to learn. Frank, thanks so much but you have to stay longer!
International training course “Market-led SMARTechs for water and agriculture” 19th to 23rd of March 2018 in Mzuzu, Malawi The SMART Centre SNV are organising an introductory short course to provide policy makers and practitioners in water and...
Entrepreneurs for Water disinfect open wells for free. Now let's work together and see how we can solve the issue. People need water and will have to use the water that is available to them. Reality is that not everybody has pipeline water and many simply...
Several communities have worked hard constructing toilets. They are officially declared Open Defecation Free. Now clean water is coming their way thanks to a donation from the "Marie-Stella-Maris foundation".
George had to pay for a water truck to bring water to his building site. After a simple calculation he decided to invest in a rope pump instead of paying for the truck. He not only safes money but now the house also has water once it is completed. George...
Small scale entrepreneur create jobs and they show that it is possible to escape poverty on own power. Some of them need a little well targeted support. Watch their video at https://jacana.help/entrepreneurs and give to one of them.
Loving, caring and dedicated teacher Petronella Kuwenda runs a private pre-school. She wants to expand but needs safe water for the children. Drillers and pump producers (trained by Jacana) from the same area will help her.
With the affordable pump and hand drilled borehole, Uveren' Gapi Jere now extended her farmland and farms even in dry season.
Farmer James Mbewe provides free water to his community. Each bucket they get, helps James irrigate his garden. This way 50 families have free water and James can farm the whole year.
Joshua lost his entire tomatoes harvest because of drought. With an affordable and easy to repair pump he will never lose a harvest again this way.
Sally Sutton represents Jacana SMART Centre Zambia at the International waTER Conference on September 18-20, 2017 at the University of Oklahoma.
SMART Centres present at World Water Week in Stockholm, 27 August – 1 September, 2017 visit Booth nr 18. Learn about SMARTechs like Manual drilling, handpumps, groundwater recharge...
Agri Pro focus is a network for business minded farmers. On 24 and 25 August 2017 more than 500 local farmers met in Chipata. Jacana SMART Centre was present, drilling in the garden of the hotel, demonstrating a working rope pump. Local trained entrepreneurs pitched...
Jacana SMART Centre presents at WEDC: "How can Self-supply help reaching SDG6?" Tuesday 25 July – afternoon 15.30 – 17.00 Loughborough University UK, Session C5: Room WPT003 Let's talk at the exhibition site SMART Centre Group.
SMART Centre Jacana is monitoring all new boreholes and pumps. Most pumps are partly sponsored but already now, 4 months after training, Self-supply started. Two boreholes with pumps are privately bought. Have a look at https://jacana.help/mwater and witness the...
On 16th June, Jacana called a follow up meeting for the welders and drillers who received the technical training in March. During this meeting, entrepreneurs had the opportunity to highlight challenges and discuss possible solutions to the challenges. The...
Jacana closed this year’s first quarter with her usual 3 day entrepreneurship training significantly dominated by young and potential entrepreneurs.This time Jacana trained a mix of experienced and start-up entrepreneurs, this combination created an atmosphere of...
Jacana selected some villages around Chipata where 50 partly sponsored pumps will be installed. Families will be the owners of the pumps and are responsible for the maintenance. These families have a plan to earn some money with the pump, because they get access to...
The welders produced the first rope pump in their own workshop. Jacana monitors the quality and if the pump is of good quality, the welders get money for production of four more pumps. The first pump will be installed in front of their workshop as an example. The...
The drillers are manually drilling boreholes at their own workshop and the workshops of the welders, this to gain experience and to make working examples to convince potential clients. Jacana monitors and guides the proces.
Jacana on Dutch national TV Jacana will be on Dutch national Television NPO2 this morning 9 April 11:57 on channel 2 just before the news in a programe of WildeGanzenNL .
Walk for water 2017 Wednesday (March 22 2017), pupils of Montessori Green Ring Doves (all locations) walked for water. Each with 6 liters of water on their backs through the Horsterpark in Duiven, the Netherlands. Mayor Rik de Lange opened the event at 9:00 and and...
EMAS pump production training On 27th of February, Jacana invited all welders and drillers for a training in Emas pump production. This was an amazing and successful task for all of them, as shown in the picture. They are testing their first Emas pump. it was really...
How Castricum supported Water for Zambia The foundation "Castricum helpt Muttathara" build the foundation for Jacana SMART water centre Zambia through their support to the "Water for Zambia" programme. Here a snapshot of some results: We are very pleased that...
SMART Centres at RWSN conference Several SMART Centres have been allocated time to share their experience at Rural Water Supply Network forum (RWSN) to be held on 29th Nov - 2nd Dec: Presentations: "Drilling & Hand-dug wells. Manual SHIPO and Mzuzu drilling)"...
How SMART Centres contribute to SDG6 How SMART Centres contribute to Sustainable Development Goal 6: "Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all" Presentation by Jacana at Ministry of Local Government and Housing, Zambia...
Online shops donate to Jacana 300 Online shops contribute a percentage of your purchase to Jacana. It does not cost you anything extra. So next time you go to your online shop go via this link:: https://www.sponsorkliks.com. It does not cost you anything extra. For...
Presentation at World Water Week Stockholm Today interesting presentation on "SMART Centres: Water & jobs by training local entrepreneurs" @siwi_water World Water Week, Stockholm 16:00-17:30! How can we provide sustainable water to rural Africa with Simple Market...
First Lean Canvas Business training in Nyanja For the First time ever Jacana facilitated the business training in a local African language (Nyanja). The trainees completed all the steps of the Lean Canvas Model under guidance of Pious. The training was evaluated as...
Four volunteer Experts active for Jacana At the moment (Febr 2016), there are four volunteer experts active in guiding entrepreneurs under the Jacana programme: Jeanette Biesbroeck for Ireen Le Tran for Wamunjima Jeroen Reith for Xavier Maren Bruin for Joseph &...
The Rabobank believes in our approach. The Rabobank staff fund covers 60% of the guidance costs for 8 small entrepreneurs in Zambia. This also means that the remaining 40% needs to be covered by crowd funding.
1 Jan 2016 Preparing for water Jacana researches the possibilities to develop a SMART training centre for low cost water Technologies, a centre similar as SHIPO in Tanzania. This centre fits perfectly with the current method of Jacana, entrepreneurs depending on water...
Make your practical Business Plan on the air. Tune in, together we will make your practical business plan and teach you how to use it. Radio PAN African 105.1 FM Monday 21 Dec 14:00 Lines are open we answer your questions on Monday 21 Dec 14:00-15:00 (radius of 100 km...