Solid Waste Manager, Joel
Joel expanded in recycling business
Joel Mpulubusi expanded his solid waste management business into recycling. New he not only collects waste, he also does paper and plastic recycling. Joel discovered the value of waste. Jacana Business Empowerment guided him for one year. Joel provides now work and income to 21 extra people and is a great example for others.
The below video shows how Joel did before collaboration with Jacana (Jan 2016).
TrashBack is specialized in solid waste recycling in Zambia. Learn more at https://trashback.org. Joel communicates frequently with Mr. Misheck Simwanza and Andrew McNaught.
Guiding & Monitoring data
Joel finished his test and the results are positive:
- 12 out of 15 schools are willing to register after May when the school has opened.
- 5 out of 7 guesthouses have registered.
- 15 out of 20 shops have registered.
- 30 households are willing to register.
Joel visited together with Dinie a Mall in Lusaka who recycles food, plastics and papers. He was inspired by the system and he will make a recycling plan for his own business.
May and June 2016
- Joel wrote a business plan for his recycling business together with the help of Jacana.
- Jacana linked Joel with TrashBack in Lusaka. TrashBack’s focus in Zambia is currently around enabling the recycling of post-consumer
packaging: plastics, cardboard and paper. Joel fits perfect in the programme of TrashBack as a future aggregator. Aggregators serve as the link between Collectors and Processors. They purchase on demand from a network of Collectors (usually within 2km radius), providing instant access to localised market. Aggregators store the materials temporarily until they have sufficient quantities to sell, providing access to bulk materials at a single location for Processors.
- Joel went to visit and learn from an aggregator trained by TrashBack in Lusaka.
- Joel is about to open his aggregator business, supported by TrashBack. He signed an agreement with a landlord to place a big container. This container will be used for the storage of the recycle materials from the Zambian Breweries.
- A team of ten people will work for Joel to collect the empty bottles and the packages from the local beer. Once in a while the Zambian Brewery will collect the bottles and packages.
- TrashBack launched the recycling business of Joel in Garden House Lusaka.
- Until half September Joel collected already 500kg of recycling bottles.
- 28th of September Joel will go for a training with 5 other aggregators facilitated by TrashBack.
Joel made a good start with his recycling business:
- TrashBack placed a big container for Joel to store all the recycling materials.
- He had a meeting at Zambian Breweries to share experiences with other aggregators. Zambian Breweries is the client and collects the empty bottles and beer cartons from Joel’s container.
- 20 Collectors are working for Joel and earn an income according to their deliveries.
- On the picture you can see that Joel collected 28 bags of more than 30 kg each (about 1000kg).
- Joel Mpulubusi started his Khola Solid Waste Management Ent. in 2008 after he got a training by Care International. He was trained to become a Community Based Enterprise in waste management in peri-urban areas. After the training he got a certificate from the Council an he registered himself at Pacra. At the moment he collects two days per week garbage in Kanyama, Garden House in Lusaka and brings it with his team to the dump site of Lusaka.
- He is a real business man, because he has some other business by renting out some buildings and running a bar.
- At the moment (April 2016) he wants to expand his solid waste business by buying a new truck (at the moment he hires a truck) and he wants to find out the possibilities for recycling glass and plastics.
- Joel completed the training successfully, but realizes that he needs to make a plan for buying a new truck in the future. Jacana wants to help him with this plan and also try to find an expert who can guide Joel in starting up the recycling business.
- For Jacana to guide Joel we need your financial help. Every small amount is more than welcome. Simply fill in (above) any amount you can afford.
Thank you on behalf of Joel Mpulubusi!
Solid waste, business plan
Click here to learn how to read a Lean Canvas Business model.
Jacana will support Joe in:
- Helping to find financial means to buy a truck for the collection of waste.
- Find a recycling expert.