Lodge Manager, Hilda Munkanda
Lodge manager Hilda Munkanda wanted to attract more guest for Take a Break Lodge. Jacana guided her for one year. Watch the results in this video.
The below video shows how Hilda started and what she wanted from Jacana (taken Sept 2015).
Guiding & Monitoring data
- The Lean Canvas Model is finalized.
- Hilda was guided in how to record the incomes and expenditures of all different departments.
- Jacana supports Hilda in management skills.
- Hilda started computer lessons.
- Billboard was designed with the staff of Take a Break Lodge.
- Actions taken to put the billboard at the road site.
- Guiding on management skills continues.
- For the first time Hilda entered all the financial data in the bookkeeping system on the computer.
- A lot of maintenance has to be done and Hilda is arranging it (building of new kitchen, installation of new gate, maintenance of fence, maintenance of doors, roofs etc).
- The billboard is installed at the road site. New people are booking or just coming to have a look.
- Hilda decided to focus more on the kitchen activities to improve the menu.
- Bookkeeping activities continues.
- Pious (formerly guest house manager) guided Hilda in creating a control system for the Kitchen, Bar and Accommodation.
- Together they made an evaluation form for the customers.
- Changes are made according to the outcome of the evaluation forms (light in the chalets, opening hours restaurant)
- Staff was trained in the local language by Jacana in Business and Financial planning.
- Jacana designed web-site http://takeabreaklodge.org in cooperation with NeoStrada.
- Hilda was trained how to use email and internet.
May and June 2016
- Continuing training in using email, internet, bookkeeping system and management skills.
- Hilda continues bookkeeping and management of the lodge. Jacana is still available if she has questions.
Jacana evaluated last year with Hilda. You can see the results in the video on top of this page.
Customers want good accommodation and food Customers want to see from outside what is inside Customers want a quiet and safe place
Picture on billboard shows the customer what the Lodge offers Offer good quality food Keep the place quiet and a guard is always there in the night
High quality accommodation and food Quiet environment with bushes Security is there
Solar power for water pump Enough land to expand the business Fresh vegetables from the garden
Passers by in cars on the Great North Road
Passers by with their personal transport
Do new customers come? Do they tell other people about the lodge? Are customers coming back?
Word of Mouth Billboard Flyers Website
By putting a billboard more customers will be attracted and expanding of the number of chalets is possible.
Put a billboard at the roadside and count the number of customers coming for accommodation. GO: when 80% of the chalets are rented out after half a year, more chalets can be build.
Cost of making a billboard Cost for license: K 1460
Chalets price: K 150
Click here to learn how to read a Lean Canvas Business model.
Jacana will support Hilda during one year in:
- Business planning
- Implementing book keeping system
- Marketing planning
- Computer skills
- General management