Tailor, Mirriam Munkanda
Mirriam Munkanda wanted to expand her tailoring business. Watch how Jacana guided here for 1 year.
The below video shows how Mirriam Munkanda started and what she wanted from Jacana (taken Sept 2015).
Guiding & Monitoring data
- Mirriam finalized her Lean Canvas Model and before expanding her business she wants to test if people from other nearby communities are interested in her product. For that Jacana helped her designing a small flyer. She will give out 50 flyers and she expects an order from 5 persons within 2 months. Mirriam decided that her business name will be: ” Mimi’s Tailor Shop”.
- Jacana instructed Mirriam in how to record her incomes and expenditures. She starts in October.
- The council allowed Mirriam to build a small shop at the new market place.
- Guided Mirriam in bookkeeping. At the end of October we balanced the income and expenditures. She had a small profit this month. New instructions were given for the month of November.
- Jacana went together with Mirriam to a Primary School in the neighborhood. This school wants to change all uniforms of 600 pupils. The head of the school allows Mirriam to sew the uniforms for grade 8 and 9. It is a big order for Mimi’s Tailor Shop.
- Mirriam bought materials to sew skirts, blouses and ties for 50 girl uniforms for grade 8 and 9.
- She was admitted to the hospital, lucky she could go home after one day, but she stayed sick for a few weeks.
- Mirriam was able to start working from 14 December. She works very hard to finish the 50 girls uniforms.
- She faces a lot of challenges because of power cuts from 6:00 up to 15:00 hours every day. It means that she works sometimes during night hours.
- Mirriam was able to sell 25 girls uniforms. She asked a colleague to help her with the shirts. Unfortunate this man was not reliable. So she started with a delay.
- Many girls did not start school in January (maybe because of the high costs of the new uniforms the school demands them to wear). Mirriam beliefs that more girls will come and buy from her during the coming months.
- She got a new assignment from a new lodge nearby her house. She sewed the uniforms for the staff. She could work from this lodge. This was a big advantage because she had all day electricity.
- She started again with the bookkeeping.
- Business wise it was not a good month for Mirriam. She did not get many assignments, but she is always optimistic and looks forward. In March is a big wedding and she will get some sewing work for that next month.
- March was much better for Mirriam. She had some good assignments for a tourist, some work for a lodge and dresses for the wedding party.
- Mirriam got an assignment from a pre-primary school and church in the neighborhood.
May and June 2016
- Mirriam worked last month for a business woman who wants to open a shop in Williams. Together with a colleague she sew place mats, table liners, aprons etc.
- Maybe she get more assignments in the future from her, but she will not do it full time because she does not want to loose her customers.
- Mirriam rejected the job, because she wants to focus completely on her own business. She is afraid that she will loose customers when she decides to work two weeks per month for somebody else. It is a brave decision. This shows that Mirriam really makes a choice to continue her own business.
Jacana evaluated last year with Mirriam. Look at the video at the top of the page to see the results.
People need quick services People need good quality They want to choose materials at the tailors shop
Short waiting time Quality sewed clothes
Mirriam has 10 years experience Mirriam delivers quick services
10 years of experiences
People from within the community and surrounding communities
Are new customers coming? Order new customers clothes? Tell new customers their friends about the tailoring business from Mirriam? Do these friends buy?
Word of mouth Business cards Flyer
Mirriam can recruit new customers from two new communities in the neighbourhood (Chisamba Farm and Mwachisompola).
Give out flyers to attract more people. GO:give out 50 flyers and get 5 new clients. Count the number of new clients.
Cost of making flyers K 3
Uniform costs K 40
Click here to learn how to read a Lean Canvas Business model.
Jacana will support Mirriam in:
- Business planning
- Implementing a practical financial system, whereby Mirriam: – Learns how to calculate the cost price for the dresses, suits, uniforms and other products she sews. – Learns how to maintain a practical financial system for incoming and outgoing money and profit and loss.
- Guiding her in marketing.
- Guiding the transition of her shop to the market place.